want to buy designer slugs

glumslum

slugs melt in salt (water), try nudibranchs. :)

While the colors are awesome, keep in mind that most of the really colorful ones are short lived (<30 days), have very specific dietary requirements, and can be toxic when they die especially in a small tank.

You likely won't find many because their diets and care are so specialized that most can't survive in home aquariums for more than a few days to weeks.

Lettuce and seahare's are pretty much the only 2 that can survive long term that are commonly available without highly specialized diets. Some people have success with risbecia apolegma but they're very rarely available. Berghia are fine but only eat aptasia anemones. Velvet's are fine but only eat flatworms, which they need a lot of for long term survival, think millions. Other than these the only real options are zoa, acro, and other pest nudi's, which you probably don't want. With anything but lettuce and berghia's you can't have any exposed powerheads or they get sucked in. Elephant slugs are pretty cool and commonly available but they're technically a snail with the shell on the inside. Mine started eating my acros so had to get rid of them but I don' think they all do it.

My only caution is almost all slugs are very specialized feeders. Unless you keep supplying what they need for sustenance, they will all ultimately die in the long-term.

Hence why their popularity has diminished in the hobby because rarely will one have the adequate supply of food for them to survive.

Sent via Tapatalk

I agree with Jestep and Ty. I would also add that their lifespan is inconsistent, a lot like flame scallops, because they don't live long to being with and by the time you get them in your tank they could be years old already.

Sea Hare is the easiest to keep, but you need a tank of Caulerpa Feater or Prolifera to keep them alive. I have seen Sea Hare at Niko's Reef and I know he'll custom order you one if you want.