Lighting questions.

caferacermike

OK guys so I have found it nearly impossible to get a question answered exactly as it is written on MAAST. I want to try a more user friendly and local approach.

Recently I acquired a lot of SPS frags from 2 wonderful people. I do not want to let these guys down as they have put a lot of faith in me.

My current light setup may be letting me down. Oddysea fixture 48" 2x 150wDE 20K and 2x 96w PC 12K on a 75g. Don't get started about spectrums as I know they are backwards and that was discussed in other threads. I was going to get some different bulbs but now I have another idea that may replace the fixture alltogether.

My question is along the lines that I can easily tear apart he fixture and add another 250w DE and another ballast. I am wondering if just adding more and more wattage is actually a good thing. Is just adding another 250w going to be the same as actually having high wattage bulbs? I hear that 150DE bulbs won't reach down but about 5" when suspended about 10" above the water line. Will a 250 reach down to the bottom or would I be better off with a 400w bulb? I'm stuck wondering if 2x 250MH with some PCs would be a better light than 2x 150w 1x 250w 2x 96wPC. Would 3 250w be better or would a single 400w in the center surrounded by 2 150w be even better?

I'm all ears as I've been working tons of OT the past 3 months and if I'm going to do it right now is the time.

The sum of it all, Is a lot of small bulbs the same as having one or two large wattage bulbs?

I won't claim to be a lighting expert, but I will tell you what I am using with success. I have a 125g tank. I have 2 - 250w MH retro kits on the sides and a 400w in the center. The only real reason for the 400 over another 250 was I got the 400 for a song. All of my SPS corals under the 250s are growing and doing well. I personally would think it would be better to have a couple strong lights rather than several smaller ones. I would think it would be less heat and less energy consumption. 2 - 250w MHs should be plenty on a 75g tank. HTH

I'm running 2x250 MH and 110 of actinics on a 140 that has about the same footprint of your 75 - same width, just taller and deeper. I keep all of my SPS in the top half of the tank and I haven't had any issues with keeping them.

hey mike, you should be able to grow sps well in the upper third of your tank with the lights that you have, but think your best move would be to switch out the 150 ballasts for 250 ballasts. i have 150w de's over my 55 and it works great, good growth and color for sps, but this is a shallow system and i only need the lights to penetrate about 10 inches of water. if you choose to stay with the 150's you might try the Phoenix 14k bulbs they are really bright with good color.

i think that adding a 400 to a dual 250 setup works a lot better than adding a 250 to a dual 150, as with the latter you have lights that are not fully penetrating the tank and your lighting may be unbalanced. you will benefit from adding more light no matter how you do it. some might be more effecient than others. for example, a dual 250w setup may give you the same or better results as the 150,250,150 system. not to mention heat issues. IMO.

"i think that adding a 400 to a dual 250 setup works a lot better than adding a 250 to a dual 150, as with the latter you have lights that are not fully penetrating the tank and your lighting may be unbalanced."

Thank you. That's exactly what I was waiting to hear. That I can keep adding wattage but the bulbs will not penetrate like a higher wattage bulb.

You mention switching ballasts? Are 250w DE the same length as 150ws? I thought they were a larger bulb altogether. I've got a chance this week to maybe get some wholesale pricing going on, to many decisions now. I think sunlight supply has a nice 2x 250w MH with 2x 54w T5.

I'd think about 10k to 14k for MH and super actinics for the T5's.

Thanks guys. The suggestion are not closed so if you have an opinion please share it.

"

You mention switching ballasts?  Are 250w DE the same length as 150ws?  I thought they were a larger bulb altogether.  

i dont really know. the 150 is the only DE that i have owned. all other set-ups were SE and ballasts are easily changeable. if the bulbs are different sizes i imagine you could switch out the mounts if there is enough space in your fixture. but if the fixture is a nice one probably better off selling and replacing it.

I say you have enough wattage. I am no expert mind you. just about 400watts should be enough to support sps. Its not over the top by any means. I do agree that your bulb temps are a little high. Maybe balance the 20ks out with somehting in the 7k range. Just my .02. You dont go to LFS's and see 600 watts of lights over most of their sps tanks. Maybe you wont get much growth out of it but if you have the money to spend. Knock your self out.

IMO, your current fixture will work, but I would swap out the 20Ks for 10Ks and use the PC for actinic.

If you want to replace the fixture the Sunlight supply fixture is a good one. If you like a white look go with the 10K and UVL Super Actinic R T5HO. If you prefer a blue look use the 14K and the same UVL Super Actinic R.

Just my thoughts.

Looks like I have a deal pending for a 2x 250w electronic ballast. If that goes through I'll be trying to find 2 250 sockets and reflectors. Looking at some from hellolights. I'll be getting 2 of these http://www.hellolights.com/25hqidenmhre.html and cutting them to fit in the fixture. Next will come choosing some 250DE bulbs in the range of 10-14k

I am going to need to trim down the reflector about 1/2" to make it fit. Also since my fixture is only 5" wide I will need different glass for it. Will regular pane glass work or does it need to be tempered? I think I've always read the descriptions as including tempered glass to block UV rays.

Anyone know?

The ballast should arrive Tuesday. I will be ordering the bulbs and reflectors Sometime early next week. Any recommendations? I've heard a lot about Pheonix 14k. Trying to stay under $60 for bulbs as that seems to be the median price for 250 DE. I had been hoping to only add a single mogul 250 and ballast to the fixture as I had an offer for a set up at $100. That was what got the ball rolling on the project. That was why I had the original question about just adding a single 250. Now it looks as though I've got $200 in the ballast, $70 in reflectors and possibly $120 in bulbs. That's about $400 total after shipping and such. This project has gotten way out of hand. But I was entrusted with some gorgeous SPS and now it's my duty to ensure their health.

Next it's a B ionic doser and supplements. After that a Kalk wasser reactor and doser and finally a calcium reactor.

All this and I'm trying to put together a 24g nano for my frogs.

Frogs.

One greenish yellow guy that now has pink spots and white "algae" growths over it's body. Started as a 1/2" jet black character with white "toenails" at the end of its fins. It was such a contrast in colors that I had to get it. Now that it is 2" and has been in my sump for many months it completely changed colors on me. I believe it to be a response to living in a field of caulerpa. It looks just like the stuff.

One sargassum frog I got from a Maastard while on safari at Mustang Island. It's quite the character as well as they are the only frogs with a swim bladder that allows them to actually cruise around.

Both anglers are feeding heavily and growing quickly.

I've been planning to move them to their own tank for 4 months now and I got the tank back in April. Basically I couldn't find a stand I wanted and began working so many hours I couldn't contract someone to build it for me. I've got one coming from Del Rio (posted on another local forum) and will set it up ASAP. Plans include Magnum HOT 350 can, Aqua C Remora Skimmer, 40lbs live sand, 20lbs live rock (all pieces bought way back when), custom sump and fuge with Eheim 1048 return. plan to build a 20x 20 x 14" acrylic box as fuge which will be built with legs to hold it over a 20x 20x 14 sump that will have a piece of acrylic to hold the skimmer in place. The theory is to have the water fall into the first fuge and have a little air trap assembly at one end and a 1" bulkhead to let water drain to the sump below. In the event of power failure I believe most of the water will be held in the fuge. I'm hoping to add another 10g to the total volume.

I hope to get them in there soon as I have an 18w PC over their current fuge/home running 24 hrs to prevent PH swings. I haven't noticed any stress issues and it has been 6 months but I'd still prefer them in a home suited for them.