Clown Killer Tank

Gonzo59

Now the question is how do I make this tank a little safer? Last time I waited at least 2 months probably more between getting more clowns but I'm afraid that my goby might be a "carrier" of some sort. I really appreciate the link to a pellet food that boost immune systems, thank you sethsolomon. I think this might be very valuable in my next run.

Any other suggestions?? I read that leaving a tank fallow will do the trick... but is it possible to fallow a tank with coral and fish in it? I guess not because thats what I tried last go. :/

Also wanted to give a shout out to Mr. Cob for those beautiful fish! I feel really guilty for putting them a system that killed them, but will be going back to him when I am sure that I won't kill the next batch. They definitely were very healthy and happy fish until I basically murdered them...

That stinks. Sorry man.

Can't keep it fallow with a fish, but depending on the disease coal and inverts would be OK. I assume by fallow you basically look for not having whatever the disease lives on in the tank, so as long as your shrimp can't carry it, it should be fine.

Maybe there is detail about that disease about how long it lives. Tangentially related at best, but I had a cat virus in the house that could live without a host for 6-12 months. So maybe you're thing can live for a long time even if the goby doesn't have it. Shrug.

Sorry Gonzo for the loss! I know Aquatek carries Dr G's medicated food which is supposed to help with ich (don't quote me on that, it is what some have experience with and shared that). Don't know if that works with brooklynella but I don't think it would hurt.

There was a big threaded discussion on it on reefcentral you should probably pull up and read. I would link it but I'm on the phone right now.

I think the main concern of leaching into the water was nullified because the medication was trapped in the gel matrix of the food and is released upon consumption only. Obviously some would be released upon defecation but by then, the active ingredients are more benign once passing through the fish.

Again, not sure if this will work for brooklynella but wanted to mention just in case it helped.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I had brooklynella in my clown tank. I left it fallow for 3 months before adding the current round of clowns and haven't had a problem. I also added UV. I don't think there is a problem leaving coral or anemones in the tank. The parasite is fish specific. I do think you will continue to have a problem as long as there is a fish in there though. My guess is that your Goby has built up an immunity but is still a passive carrier.

I would let it sit with just the Goby for 3 or more months. Add as strong of UV as you can afford. Next time you add a clown I wouldn't do two. I'd try one of the most inexpensive ones you can find. I hate to suggest using any animal as a test but if you take every step possible to make your system as safe as possible and minimize risk it isn't as horrible as it sounds but just on the off chance that you didn't get it all don't waste money on designer fish that die within days.

just my 2 cents.

UV is a good option for running while your tank is fallow. a 9w UV sterilizer at 100-200gph should be good and won't harm your waterborne bacteria and should zap the brooklynella. Ick is just a hard parasite to kill with UV, but brooklynella does not take as much to kill it via UV.

Archived