did something explode?

Planeden

Ok, so, this happened sometime this afternoon. anybody ever see anything like it? the pattern looks like the the return pump, and possibly the power heads, through something against the glass and it exploded into a little powder. perhaps it was a powder being blown and it is just sticking to the glass in that pattern.

it feels gritty and appears to be white. i'm not sure what to do. i have not yet checked my parameters. figured i'd get it put up here and get yalls thinking caps on.

everyone except a cleaner shrimp seems to be accounted for. he is usually quite visible, so unless he is hiding for a molt or something, he could be gone. no sign of him in the sump or on the ground, though.

thanks

post-3177-0-69879400-1402538234_thumb.jp

post-3177-0-63108400-1402538258_thumb.jp

Weird. I don't have any ideas. It's interesting how whatever it is stuck to the glass. I hope your shrimp shows up! I'd think if it went through a powerhead that there'd be pieces of the outside of his body in/on the powerhead. I can't imagine it could get completely pulverized with no signs left around. iiam.gif

I'd think if it went through a powerhead that there'd be pieces of the outside of his body in/on the powerhead. I can't imagine it could get completely pulverized with no signs left around. :iiam:

Did the clowns look fatter or happier afterwards? I would imagine after being presented with bite sized pieces they would be full.

Kim: I'm with you. The shell for sure doesn't melt that fast.

The fish look normal, but my zoas and toadstool are upset.

Anyway, tests seem to be OK. But, there was a household cleaning mishap and I can't test alk, mg, and ca. The syringes got tossed and the ones I have on hand don't fit the nozzles.

I'm going to wipe the glass with a magic eraser and do a water change and hope for the best.

Thanks everyone.

Looks like a calcium precipitate. Do you dose near the return pump or that powerhead?

I tend to get algae growth near my powerheads due to heat/water flow, but it is normally brown, not white.

what kind of sand/substrate are using, was it stirred up recently? I would agree with you that the reason it's where it is is because of the flow pattern. I had something similar to this happen to a tank a month or two after it cycled and couldn't really put my finger on it, but Im with olaggie, looks like calcium or stronium precipitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what kind of sand/substrate are using, was it stirred up recently? I would agree with you that the reason it's where it is is because of the flow pattern. I had something similar to this happen to a tank a month or two after it cycled and couldn't really put my finger on it, but Im with olaggie, looks like calcium or stronium precipitate.

I have a couple extra syringes, is it the red sea kind? I can drop one by tomorrow. I'd want to watch alk just in case the shrimp did die.

that would be cool, but i am swamped today. i was thinking about using a pencil sharpener on one i have around the house, but i think i would have been murdered. i'll pm you and see what we can work out. thanks. still no sign of seymore, either.

Looks like a calcium precipitate. Do you dose near the return pump or that powerhead?

I tend to get algae growth near my powerheads due to heat/water flow, but it is normally brown, not white.

i don't dose, actually. i did a while ago (march), but when i did i normally just dumped it in the overflow. but Ca was my thought as well, but i can't imagine what would have caused it to precip. i guess i could check my PH if i have a test kit for that.

sand...interesting. i have aragonite special grade (or whatever it is). i poke around on it occasionally to stir up things for filter feeders. i think i did it a day or two before this happened, but i didn't stir it more than normal. but, i seem to have lost a bunch of my filter feeders, perhaps in the great nitrate battle of 2014. i used to get sweeper tenticles that would almost span the tank and now i just get a few short ones here and there. i have been running some filter floss, so i would have thought that would have taken it out, but perhaps it was fine enough that what got stuck to the glass made it through.

hmmmm, what i did was scrape the glass, then stir the sand a bit. maybe it took a few days for the algea to grow back again and that is when it started sticking the silt to the glass.

anyway, i changed out 15g of water last night and while the water was low i magic erased the glass. i tried to be careful to not get any of it back in the tank. but i was drawing the last few gallons of water out while i cleaned it to try to suck out some of what went in the water. the zoas seem pretty happy today, as does the nem. the toadstool is being a toadstool, so she may just be unhappy that i did a water change. or that the moon was full. or that i sneezed on tuesday. who knows.

edit: i can't speak for the fish...they may have stirred up the sand without me.

Did you have a anemone in your tank? We had one get sucked into the power head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i still have him and he's fine. in fact, after the water moved out from under him on the water change he moved back down to his previous spot in the paly colony and seems much happier. other than me dropping shrimp directly in his mouth, i have no idea why he was so high in the tank. and, it was a relatively shady spot. but, i digress.

i still don't have a cleaner, though. so, i still don't understand how, but it may have been him.

i have tunze powerheads with intake slits that are at most 1/8" wide. is it possible that a nem could get sucked through such a small slit? i've been debating whether i need to find some sort of cover for them.

The slits on my old filtet that my nem got sucked into were about that size or smaller. Id say yes.. cover. And my nem had about half of its entire "body" inside the filter through those slits

Archived