Nano Tank (Former HS Tank)

Makena95GT

2ba509fcac6f11280338fa5a75bde0f3.jpg

a9c34201cd1734e0e633e084df62b8af.jpg

40f71b9cfa10c0a0aa0471c10a99b231.jpg

BTA had a rough night. The Urchin was carrying it around before I went to bed.

*sigh* im tempted to put off cleaning till I find a suitable tank to upgrade to or my brother gets rid of his 40. But im not sure how long that will be. Ill try to do another water change today and find some new sand as well probably

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the corals appeared to have survived the lack of attention pretty well.

If looking for a new tank, I've always been a fan of the AIO tanks like nanocubes and biocubes. With some modification, they can do a superb job at keeping corals and fish and also stay pretty low maintenance.

Most of the corals appeared to have survived the lack of attention pretty well.

If looking for a new tank, I've always been a fan of the AIO tanks like nanocubes and biocubes. With some modification, they can do a superb job at keeping corals and fish and also stay pretty low maintenance.

The 29 gallon biocube would fit my stand perfectly ;)

05217f82f0eba4a3afacda0376b6ed43.jpg

First night went well. They seem to be using the buddy system so im pretty happy about that. The skinny one up front is my old one. As said.. Ive been neglecting the tank :'( i admit he hasnt had the frozen food that he only eats in a few weeks.

They both got fed Mysis yesterday and both ate really well.

d9b896ea5cf78c16749b7425ac2805d2.jpg

Thats a snail lol. This is what im dealing with -.-

7576993ffd3b927e868316892773bbec.jpg

My Rastas are still kicking which is awesome. They actually grew two new polyps. Woooo! Ill probably do a dip on all the corals. Once for any pests and a mild peroxide dip to help with algae.

You can see Grumpy Gills in the BG there. Ever since the pistol shrimp went poof he hasnt been getting beat up. Poor guy. I may get a new shrimp. One that will actually pair up with him. His fins are all regrown and hes healed up well

fed45d97a977e2bd895acee6ce73ef8d.jpg

c3ba97f3536d54b154f03d21446b8edf.jpg

I saw that at PetSmart we have that Top Fin liquid SW mix on clearance for $5 for a bottle that makes 4.5 gallons. Considering how bad i am about premaking water in advance I grabbed a bottle. Ill mix up some water maybe tonight and test it.

9a95407c877a04591608c8406891eea1.jpg

I also fixed up my gecko tank yesterday. Got the new big tree and mixed in dirt with the sand to allow for live plants to be planted

bc9785c75040b33ff946da2c54472c6b.jpg

Ok not sure if i got a defective bottle of that mix or what lol

Its been churning for TWO DAYS in a bucket and is still that white cloudy you get when you mix SW and the bucket has a white film as well as the powerhead.

Im not giving up yet as I did buy two different size bottles from two different locations so ill let this keep doing its things. I have enough premixed for next weeks water change anyways

But im bummed since it says it mixes instantly and you should be able to just "stir till clear" within a few minutes

Both the Bangaii are doing awesome. Both eating like piggies and my male is putting some weight back on. Im feeling good about this pair but he may just have been too thin and weak to be a jerk like normal

301dea65a8f5c2070280f119fbbc9334.jpg

Did water tests!

But all my results are on the other phone. Ill try to remember off the rop of my head

I think alk was around 11-12

Calcium was 390

Mag was high i think?

No nitrates or phosphates to speak of via API kit

I really like the 'treasure chest' thing you got there

Lmao testing day is so awesome i just had to keep all my stuff in the treasure chest!

Haha jk its just whats as laying around and all other flat surfaces are full of tanks and enclousures

• 1 month later...

A couple weeks ago I lost my old male Bangaii :(

I also decided I dont have the funds to move this year so now I can get into gear setting up the 40g. Ill probably order 40lbs of the carribsea sand online from work since its free shipping plus extra discounts if i do it through the AOS system (hint hint guys.. Lol)

Then I'll look into ordering at least one of the new Jaebo pumps, may just do one and keep my baby korallia nano on one side just to help a bit.

I already know where the tank is going, have to decide what route I do want to go with the stand so I think thats the first thing ill do, probably at the end of the month when I have some monies set aside.

Ill have to get on the ball with algae removal on that last hunk 'o LR and try to work my parameters in line so the transition isnt such a shock. I really want to go low-tech and more towards Tims approach and less Ty ;P

But mainly cause I'm a broke youngster lol and I still have a lot to learn about the technology behind those types of systems.. So I want to start with all live rock and maybe a couple dry pieces if I see a piece that I really like.

Ideally I'd love to stick with my old dream of having a Marley themed tank but I just cant bear to limit my choices like that so I WILL try to get a zoa patch going in the infamous red yellow and green coloring. Itll be my goal. As well as have a massive Rasta patch. I must have it.

All my raining corals are srill hanging in there. Im making new water tonight for a 50% water change tomorrow.

Sorry for the wall of text of an update. Heres some stuff to tide you over till I have pics

6b941226312958c681841e194209e3c8.jpg

Oscar when I got him two years ago

36726c78d2a7405a436922b3277bf9dc.jpg

Odie!

cf09303cffca76f2be0d6142a965a5cf.jpg

Theodore and Reginald!

6ad1916273f627106fc01e2d92e77f4d.jpg

Alfred!

005ed79f6f3aab11f3a64df09ee219b4.jpg

Monty!

765fdafb11f4c05f966dee7837f9bc60.jpg

Puppy ditched in a cart behind the store!

(Are you not entertained!? All pics of work animals, my buddies!)

I have both the jebao rw-4 and rp-10 pumps in my 32 gallon. They are both great, but if you can only get one the rw-4 is much nicer and more powerful :)

I would say definitely keep the koralia going too

I like how Tim and I are used as metrics on a scale. [emoji39]

If you're not moving anymore, come by and grab your corals whenever the new setup is ready for them! [emoji38]

Lol but its truueeee!

Once I get a few more water changes in with the 10g and get the algae taken care of ill probably go ahead and grab them rather than wait till im completely done with the 40. Hopefully the 10 will be back in decent shape in a few weeks.

f40303b46482048b091115a75bb79890.jpg

Potatoe picture time!

Got some red cyano as well as the GHA. BUT

My cinnamon grandis paly is open! It hadnt been open since I MOVED HERE on june 27th, last year!

Im about to test the mixed water.. Be aure were at the right salinity.. Then scrub that big rock in the tank then try to suck out all the algae during the water change

581903f995d17de61670364bf6ca7e3e.jpg

What i got by hand.

Looks like thisll take more than a day. After scrubbing about half of the front of the rock.. I cant see anything in the tank lol

69c364312b86e7f3023233d9decfd902.jpg

Ill have to continue doing this over a few days o.o

I'd scrub outside the tank in a small bucket of water. Peroxide works great if you can remove the rock and spray directly on the algae. Just be careful and not spray your corals.

My nem is attached to the rock and refuses to move -.- i did pull and scrub all the other old rock a while back though

604dd14c1f54d38c3365c51151fb4746.jpg

Already looks tons better. I cant find any of my crabs. Its not the hermits I carw about so much as the emerald crab. Sheldon the conch didnt make it, or my lonely snail :(

038d70f7673c6177c052701971575cba.jpg

Grumps is still happy as ever. My fungia is a smidge bigger (this thing is a trooper, Ty!)

c93054d5daaa78069e53491428528055.jpg

Acans looks pretty bad but not dead so thats good

68154ef5fe89f48d3a0ee28078fd9fa7.jpg

Urchin is still with us as well

b2ca55eefe194749a64d174da7fcb2ac.jpg

Female Bangaii is enjoying all the space to herself

Im CONVINCED i have stray voltage as this has happened before but jot nearly as bad where i feel whats either a shock or something, but i can only describe it as similar to the feeling of when you have a cut and use hand sanitizer but quite a deal worse.

I unplugged the heater.. Still felt it, filter, ATO, sure enough it was the Korallia. So thats unplugged and i upgrades the filter to an AquaClear 70 to give me some flow till the tank upgrade. I imagine if I felt a shock... My poor animals! D:

Working on making up more water. I will admit ive been using tap water, dont shoot! I will def be TRYING to go all RO/DI for the 40g but for now ill stick with the tap for this tank. Even in a first floor apartment theres some awesome stairs to get up to the building from the lot. So lugging water isnt something I can do easily. Im teensy with noodle arms lol

Im thinking about trying to dose the API Marine AlgaeFix along with all these water cha ges and manual removal but I need to research if I should remove the giant sack of carbon I just added first. Also going to pick up some purigen and maybe phosguard as well to toss in the AC.

Feels good to finally make progress and get tjings done!

Archived