Nano Tank (Former HS Tank)

Makena95GT

Nice work on getting the cardinal to eat. Those are usually difficult to get eating. Best of luck on algae removal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of that looks like pest dinoflagellates. I've read a lot of success stories on the big evil forum about people having success with that algae product you're using in removing Dino's if that's the case

Thanks! :3

That's what I was fearing as well, but this algae doesn't have that same bubbling effect so I'm not sure. I've lowered my photoperiod to 5 hours a day and my drag rack is now right in front of the overhead, every few hours ill blow some of this crud off my favorite zoos.

So far it doesn't seem AS bad as the other day, so hopefully a few more water changes, filter cleans, and carbon changes will do the trick. Funny how I never had algae problems at the old house lol

3e3e7c829c30c08131833775a062cfc6.jpg

Picture I snapped of Pistol Pete around 2am

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Jonathan on the dinoflagellate. I just went through a brief period of battling this myself. You need to stop doing water changes. This will keep the Dinoflagellates fed. I would also do a 3 day blackout period in which most of it will die. After that I would dose 1ml of H2O2 per 10 gallons in your tank. Through this I was able to keep it from taking over and I got rid of it fairly quickly. Good luck battling it.

I agree with Jonathan on the dinoflagellate. I just went through a brief period of battling this myself. You need to stop doing water changes. This will keep the Dinoflagellates fed. I would also do a 3 day blackout period in which most of it will die. After that I would dose 1ml of H2O2 per 10 gallons in your tank. Through this I was able to keep it from taking over and I got rid of it fairly quickly. Good luck battling it.

As much as id love to do the blackout method I'm trying to wait until my Rasta zoas finally open up before I shut them out for three days. I got them at the swap and they're about 25% open now and doing better every day but I want them to get in a solid day of sun so they dont wither away in darkness when I do the blackout. No water changes is no problem. I love saving money on water and being lazy so that's easy peasy :P

I have heard of some people saying the Hydrogen Peroxide can bug some shrimp and nems so im a bit hesitant on that also but if the tank doesnt clear up a bit before I finally get to do the blackout ill risk it

6a23b0fcc0af928feb5d9212f73b5b5a.jpg

Temporary replacement phones camera.. not the best :(

Today it appears that one rasta polyp is almost completely open. Also my Candy Apple Reds are opening more and i feel as if theres noticeably less of that algae.

I removed and thouroughly cleaned the filter and powerhead and all the parts. Moved the filter to the left front of the tank to face the powerhead.

Finally discovered that this laptop does in fact have a card reader, so I transferred some pictures from the camera I took a couple weeks ago.

rNhj7KZ.jpg

Baby Fungia plate coral from Ty

EGbLA0V.jpg

"Tiny Brown BTA" from the silent auction at the swap. Made itself right at home nestled in the yellow polyps

LXLE8uz.jpg

Extremely eye-burning photo of my Acans I got from Kim :3

7Zuluuv.jpg

"Big Mama" as I've been calling her

i9nC2d8.jpg

More eye-friendly photo of the Acan colony again. Dem tentacles.

rBoWwtR.jpg

My ABSOLUTE favorite photo that is now the BG on my laptop and phone, my Frogspawn. This was before the great algae/dino war. They don't look as awesome as of today but are slowly doing better.

I managed to snap a pic of n open Rasta polyp! On my cruddy temporary phone :(, but I'll still upload it because I'm super happy about them not melting away or otherwise dying on me. The Candy Apple Reds might get transferred from the rack to a rock here pretty soon.as they are doing well. They'll get a chemiclean dip before moving

bdbda3c2fef3b1f1844e761aaefcd4bd.jpg

Devils hand leather

b722c7762b9499c397469a7f97ae5657.jpg

My first plating corals. A chalice and a monti.

Yay new stuff! Also had a blast at my annual Import and Domestic sweethearts meet today!

c172d3a093797612aaab88aace771746.jpg

634f592dfa4431660c42ae6c879fa3e0.jpg

For the first time.. I actually won a raffle prize!

Thanks! Still a smidge of algae but its settled down a lot. Need to do a water change hopefully tomorrow night after I buy and mix some water. I'm thinking about getting a 20-30 gallon container to store water. Don't need a ton on hand but it'd be a lot easier that way

Lugged ten, one gallon jugs of water up to the apartment as well as my free goodies from a fellow ARC member. Got a little zoomed pump for mixing SW, and an awesome five gallon tank that my Beta now lives in. Also two smaller Betta size tanks. One is a hexagon that ill be using for FW shrimp again :3 (I love me some designer shrimp)

Tons of other odds and ends came in the package deal that are super helpful to me.

Did a 20% water change today. The heat from three small mixing pumps gets the fresh mixed water right to 78. Go figure that's the temperature of the tank. Yay again!

I seem to have defeated or at least got a huge foothold on the algae. My candy apple reds are as happy as can be. Same for the Rastas. And this makes me happy. Only unhappy corals are the frogspawn and taxation but I'm betting they'll calm down within a day or two

Depends on what I'm looking at. My Algae and dirty glass is so much easier to see with the daylights only lol

My curly cue new and yellow polyps of course look better without the blues. Rastas are always awesome no matter what ;)

8a6249409ae3aeca2c0a389806c6a33a.jpg

Haven seen these open since before the frag swap.

869960eae78b36acf26883773f97390e.jpg

Curly cue nem is finally out and open

628a89f81d9cf78702bbc33a2cb64577.jpg

Zoa rock is looking good

3f8ca29d7854f7b6b0d2d15c73cb3d8a.jpg

Hi Sheldon! Hes doing an awesome job at cleaning my sand

4c5b4bc02e606a0ab51dc5af116faf3e.jpg

BRA and yellow polyps. All kinds of crazy packet into this rock

51c355e8b73e21a5c91bd16575787421.jpg

Recent FTS

Still need to find where I'm going to be putting my new Flower Petal Montipora and Hollywood Stunner Chalice. Oh and that Devils Hand Leather. I'm running out of space :((((((

Time to start looking for a biocube. This stand was built for a 29. Hmmmm.. income tax return present!?

Upgrading already?? How quickly the fever comes on ....

I do know of a 40 breeder that'll be available as soon as we (my brother and I) set up the 120 for the turtles... hmmm

But it'd be nice to be able to stick with just the one light I have. I really want an AIO tank but I'm also pondering the possibility of it being ruthless. But also to fit my stand.. gah

3c7ad061b07b5087d2cfd5a252c6aae4.jpg

Latest FTS. Glued lots of things to more permanent locations and freed up space for Sheldon the conch to not be running over my drags.

8e3ab284954ccc0c2fb5f06828409259.jpg

Check out my new plugs ; P ReefHaus aka Alex gave me a bin full of dry rock to hold on to till my inevitable upgrade :3 got some fun things in the baggie. Skeletons galore!

Heck yes. Im keeping up a maintenance dose of the AlgaeFix every week. My cinnamon grandis paly is finally starting to MAYBE think about possibly opening lol which is a good sign. More pics to come when I get off work at 5

Update on my trip to my dads. I might have wrecked my car. All because of drama with my dads gf. I said id rather wait for him at his place before it got dark. Amd he knows i dont like driving in the rain. Needless to say "SHE" made me have to meet him basically in Nother city. I was loat and couldnt see. My lane turned into a turn lane and i hit the median that the signal lights are on. Pulled over and got out to check the damage.

Locked my keys in the car. Phone was dying i had my chihuahua thankfully outside of the car. But freezing.

Im still here with my dad waiting on AAA to unlock my car. But im livid

Hopefully tonight we can go back and get it. I thankfully have all my tools here at his house so ill lift it up and take the front wheels off to see. Yesterday was a reaaaalllllly uncool day -.-'

Thanks for the kind words. I love my car as much or more than my reef tank so if its ruined.. idk what id do

Archived