is my GFCI outlet bad?

Mitch

I was woken up this morning to the beeps of my UPS indicating it was on backup mode. I had power in the house so I simply reach thru the stand and try to toggle the GFCI reset switch, but it keeps tripping. The UPS is the only thing plugged in to the GFCI outlet (and I believe there were no other things plugged in to the same circuit). I have one EB8 connected to the backed up outlet (as well as a router and the Apex backup 12v adapter), and the other EB8 thru the non-backed up surge protected outlet. I disconnect the latter EB8 and the router, but the GFCI still won't stay on. I eventually unplug the UPS from the GFCI and plug it in to the nearest outlet not on the same circuit. The UPS exits backup mode and I replug everything back in with no issues.

What are the chances the GFCI outlet went bad? What can I do to test it more thoroughly?

Unfortunately, the GFCI outlet is behind the stand and blocked by the sump, so it'll be a real pain in the arse to replace =(

I guess the only thing you could do would be to unplug each device and run it :( If you check your amperage charts, do you notice anything funny leading up to the time when the GFCI started tripping?

This is a new problem, right? That indicates the GFCI or the UPS went bad. How old is the UPS?

If you have another GFCI anywhere near I'd run an extension cord to it (make sure it's the only item plugged into that circuit), then plug the UPS into it and see if you have the same issue. The length of the extension could affect it, but I believe that should help you determine if it's the UPS or something plugged into the UPS versus a bad GFCI outlet.

If it does turn out to be the GFCI a few of us can come over with furniture sliders the next time you do a water change. We just have to lift enough to get a slide under each corner and then we should be able to get the stand and tank away from the wall far enough to replace the gfci. If you go that route, I'd put a standard outlet in it's place and move the gfci to a more easily accessible outlet on the same circuit.

We also have a Killawatt device where we can measure current before the gfci to see if there's a spike.

The first notification that my EB8 loss power was:

"Alarm Statement: If Power EB8_Btm Off 001 Then ON
May 15 2014 06:42:36"

Here's what the amp readings were for the 2 EB8s... note that EB8_Top is Amp_3 and is plugged in to the UPS via the surge protected outlet, and EB8_Btm is Amp_4 and is plugged in to the UPS via the backed up outlet...

post-935-0-62210300-1400532097_thumb.jpg

As you can see (at least what the Apex was able to record), there was no notable spike. Nothing was scheduled to turn on til 0700.

I wonder if its something with the UPS then? If your outlets are wired like this GFCI ==> UPS ==> EB8, it's possible that something is screwy with the UPS causing the GFCI to trip. There is a setting on killawatts that shows the max current, and if your UPS was causing a big inrush of current it could trip the GFCI. Looking for all options here that do not involve moving everything out of your sump :(

As previously noted, I've had the the UPS, eg the entire system, plugged in to another non-GFCI circuit with no issues. I took the leap and plugged it back into the GFCI plug (via extension cord this time), and no problems! Everything that should be on is on, lights, pumps, etc. I've got the killawatt in between, so i'll monitor things at this point.

I'm hoping it was some one-time spurious glitch, so crossing my fingers.

As previously noted, I've had the the UPS, eg the entire system, plugged in to another non-GFCI circuit with no issues. I took the leap and plugged it back into the GFCI plug (via extension cord this time), and no problems! Everything that should be on is on, lights, pumps, etc. I've got the killawatt in between, so i'll monitor things at this point.

I'm hoping it was some one-time spurious glitch, so crossing my fingers.

To clarify, you're plugged into a different circuit (GFCI) via the extension cord, not the previous one right?

To clarify, you're plugged into a different circuit (GFCI) via the extension cord, not the previous one right?

Nope, the SAME one it was originally plugged in to.

Ah, I was suggesting running the extension to a different circuit/gfci so that you could identify if it's the one behind your tank. If it fails plugged into extension on a different gfci outlet then it's something in the UPS or equipment. If it works then it's a good sign the gfci behind the tank is bad.

Sorry Mike, i think i'm still not being clear... I replugged it in to the ORIGINAL gfci outlet that had started failing... if that hadn't worked, I was going to take your suggestion and plug it into a DIFFERENT gci circuit, but that's moot now (at least for now).

Brian, thx... I wasn't aware of that behaviour from USPS's.

Have you checked the actual breaker for the GFI run? Or are there any other GFI outlets previous in the series that might be tripped?

Either would cause a reset capable 100% fail under load scenario

Have you checked the actual breaker for the GFI run? Or are there any other GFI outlets previous in the series that might be tripped?

Either would cause a reset capable 100% fail under load scenario

scratch that, I didn't see where you had come back to orig GFCI.