Phosphate in RO/DI water?

Chopper

I recently bought a new 4 stage RO/DI unit from BRS (1 month old and used a couple of times) so I can make my own saltwater. Just out of curiousity I tested the RO/DI freshwater (with a 0 TDS reading by the way) for phosphates with a API test kit and the result I got was 0.25 for phosphate level?? Can that be? Does the RO/DI unit not filter that or is the API not a reliable? Thanks for your time.

Most likely the test kit. API PO4 and NO3 tests are not very accurate, I think the PO4 is their worst one.

It's probably fine, but if you're worried have someone with a hanna checker do a test on it.

Definitely test your water with a more sensitive kit. If you are still reading phosphates after your DI stage you need to replace it. Also I've tested phosphates from several different water providers with Elos Professional phosphates from 0.0 to .14 ppm.

Some good advice given above. If your not venturing into SPS corals I wouldn't worry too much about phosphates. If you have SPS corals I would ditch the API test and get a more accurate test kit. I like the Hanna Checker for this one. Accurate to the 100th which is what you really need to know IMO for SPS.

Some good advice given above. If your not venturing into SPS corals I wouldn't worry too much about phosphates. If you have SPS corals I would ditch the API test and get a more accurate test kit. I like the Hanna Checker for this one. Accurate to the 100th which is what you really need to know IMO for SPS.

+1. I grabbed the phosphorus checker which detects to the ppb level. You just have to convert the reading to ppm phosphate afterwards though but its simple.

Thanks for all your replies. I will look into the Hanna checker. I really appreciate all your comments. At this pint all I have are some mushroom corals and two clownfish. They all seem very happy and look healthy.

Archived