220G build

Dustin Pedretti

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking and watching my flow since you asked...the reason the 40s are in the location they are in is primarily because of the length of the cord and where I want my control boxes. They are both on the same side on one end of the tank. While I'm happy with what I can see now (can't really tell now because nothing in my tank flows) I think it might be better on opposite sides to cause a better scattered flow. Is this correct? Maby dumb question.

There are no dumb questions here. "The only dumb thing would be to not ask the question."

Philosophy 101

As I understand your flow path, both mp40 are flowing across top of tank to the opposite side. With little rock or obstructions, you should get a continuous vertical loop current. I especially like the vertical loop current because it is closed loop. The physics of "inertia of mass" will amplify the current. More bang for the buck. You can verify this with addition of flake food. Does this flow path push surface water toward your return surface skimmer weir? This is very important to remove surface scum.

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

Alright well since Manny wants an update here we go

I saw Triple V do something awesome to his flow so I copied...this is theirs

2evepe2u.jpg

This is mine...got a couple kiddos in there

enuqypes.jpg

4u5ude4e.jpg

I spent most of the day putting it together and changing up from my old dangerous set up and got it working....it works beautifully!

It's not quite done yet but I've got it hooked up and running...going to paint my "home made" nozzles black so they don't look so obvious.

Leme just say, this was an awesome idea that he had and want to thank him for sharing.

Nice job Dustin! What pump are you using?

it's a Iwaki MD 40RLT. Not anywhere near your size pump but it's doing what I need for now. I WILL be looking for an upgrade soon

This set up is great and I'm happy you shared it, thanks!

Nice job Dustin! What pump are you using?

it's a Iwaki MD 40RLT. Not anywhere near your size pump but it's doing what I need for now. I WILL be looking for an upgrade soon

This set up is great and I'm happy you shared it, thanks!

Your welcome im glad it was useful to you.... I think im gonna try a few flow accelerators and see if they are what they claim.

Well...I came home with a snowflake eel...thanks jonathan for the heads up. this guy is really cool to watch. I also re arranged my rock work, will post fts tomorrow when everything clears up. Triple V, I might look into those as well where would one find them?

I did some reading on these (very little) and from what I understand, you can't just do a couple on something like we have set up. It would have to be all or nothing because the pressure built up would just defuse out of the next pipe that dosnt have one...is my understanding correct? I wonder also if I could use these on the pump I've got now instead of upgrading pumps

I think your pretty accurate on your assessment. My plan on these is to wait until my tank is up and running so I can make a better assessment if im even going to need them.

As far as your pump...thats a good question. Is there a minimum flow rate ?

So now that the water has cleared up and I cleaned the glass here's some pictures of the new rock work...looks about the same but everything is pushed more into the corner

Before

y7uva5a6.jpgzeqa9y3y.jpg

After

a4u5yhyh.jpgpy8apura.jpgasebusy3.jpg

I still/need a lot more rock but I'm making do. The guy that I got the eel from had a couple of Digi frags on the sand bed that he let me have. He said they were under sand and didn't think they would come back but I'm seeing alittle fuzzy on them already.by4e5y2e.jpg

I am also seeing a new head on the dunkin Manny gave me...I have no picture of that though...leaving y'all with the middle part of my new snowflake eel (it's all I could get)

y8ygade7.jpg

Archived