Toying with an idea

Sherita

So, you see. I have this tank in my hallway. It's not very big, 25 gallons or so. And it's very weirdly shaped.....36" long and 18" tall, but only 8" from front to back. And nothing I've tried with it so far has worked out the way I wanted. This tank has a itty bitty sump, an itty bitty fuge with chaeto, and is lit by leds. It's built into a custom cabinet, and is picture frame viewable (front only)

I'm thinking of turning it into a display refugium of sorts. Have some really nice macros in there....dragons breath, blue ochtodes, red teardrop, gracilarius, red branching, mermaids fans, codium. Then add in some mysid shrimp, and let the pods explode. Then maybe a porcelain crab or two, and a pompom crab, little bitty blue striped pipefish, the tiny green pipefish from the coast, little filter feeder cukes, and some barnacle blennies.

This way, I could raise super nice macros to share with my friends, and feed to my tangs. Have a breeding population of mysids, because they are way cool to watch, and a spot for those little micro critters we never see in our big tanks, like the crabs and barnacle blennies. I might even think about a dwarf sea pony once all is doing well.

Opinions? What do y'all think? Give it a shot, or tear the tank down and start over with something else?

what an odd tank. i like your idea, but i'm trying to figure out how you can display that stuff when it is so tall. maybe you want to think about those small mag rocks so that you can have some rocks at various heights with your macros on it. like a little bookshelf sort of. the trouble i would have is getting the rocks laid in there so they look kinda "random" and not like a book shelf or some sort of stair step that could be interpreted as a code if charles epps happened along. (i may be watching numbers on netflix right now...). but i do believe you have more of an artistic eye than i do and can have success with it.

The rock thing I have covered. I've got lots of small-ish live rock that can be stacked in a myriad of forms to allow for different display heights. The tank has a custom foamed background, so I can stick stuff on there as well.

I think I'll hit up ebay and start gathering macro. I've got some nice gracilaria already. I'd like to find some caleurpa prolifera to grow in the sand bed.

This tank idea sounds great, I love it! I've always wanted a long shallow tank. It sounds perfect for pipefish. Do it! Then post lots of pics!

Already moving forward with the idea. I've moved the shrooms, gorg, and devils hand out of the tank. Rearranged the rockwork to a more "algae" friendly model. And ordered blue scroll and blue ochtodes macro. And a really cool looking branching red macro that I haven't seen before.

I need to find some yellow macro. And pink, pink would be good.

There are already a ton of pods in the tank, but I need mysids. Anyone have some? Please?

Archived