back to hobby with 220G.

reeflover

hey guys!

Thought i was out of this hobby due to not having enough time to enjoy this hobby but i just couldn't do it. This hobby addicted me so much LOL. For those whom have kids, know how it goes with 2 daughters ( 3 yrs and 22 months) and a wife. I broke down my 120 almost 2 years ago and sold pretty much everything i had. Whatever left, i've set up small 34G cube tank which i still have and soon will be transfer to my dream tank. this will be a mixed reef tank. Will do more sps if time allows.

Last year, I've convinced my wife to let me get a bigger tank and i was surprised it was ok for her haha... Gotta love my wife. I put in order at RCA for the marineland 220G dual corner over flow and it ready to be delivery to my house already. I stopped in last nite to see the tank, what a huge tank. I really like the size of this monster, this is the biggest tank i ever have with its dimension 72x24x30 and will be set up as peninsula tank. Thanks RCA for getting this tank in so quick and especially to Francis whom helped me to choose this tank.

I am building my stand, i have the frame done. Will bring it into the house and once i have the tank sits on the stand. i will have better ideas how to finish the stand and custom the canopy since i like a full size canopy from wall to wall with 2 cabinets on both side of the tank. see picture of the stand (just frame) and the tank is still at RCA

Friend of mine gave me aprox 100lbs dead rock which being cure and soon will be seed with my live rock from my 34G. Not sure how long the rock been dry.

post-307-0-11362400-1393026753_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-10892400-1393026794_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-11307500-1393026910_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-47153300-1393026949_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-50543800-1393026988_thumb.jpg

Edited by reeflover

Very nice, I actually saw that tank the other and I was jealous. I built my stand and canopy when I went to my 180. My thread is linked in my signature. One thing I would suggest on the stand is to brace the bottom of the stand to prevent any potential wobble from front to back. That's a big tank and if it were me I would want the extra reassurance. I look forward to following this build.

Very nice, I actually saw that tank the other and I was jealous. I built my stand and canopy when I went to my 180. My thread is linked in my signature. One thing I would suggest on the stand is to brace the bottom of the stand to prevent any potential wobble from front to back. That's a big tank and if it were me I would want the extra reassurance. I look forward to following this build.

I know there will be a question about the bottom of the tank doesnt having the cross braces. Because the stand will be over the partition wall that i have ( i dont want to take our the wall, therefore i've built the stand as an U shape to go over the wall. Once i put the stand over the wall, i will have cross braces just above the wall. Also to prevent potentially the legs being wobble, i thought about this too. therefore I will add 2 more supports for each front and back.

I think it is the same link from reefcentral i used to built the my stand. thanks for your input.

Edited by reeflover

• 4 weeks later...

Wait? A drilled tank straddling a wall? Is the sump going to be in a seperate room?

yes, the tank is straddling over the wall. i builted the cabinet to store the sump against the wall like the L shape.

Been a while almost a month since i have time to update. been busy and trying to put the tank together. I could only have 3-4 hours every nite to work on the tank

Edited by reeflover

Excellent. Interested in how this is plumbed located like you describe. Don't forget to keep thanking that wife as you may get obsessed.

you will see how the plumbing when i attached the pictures. i am so glad wife is into this as well. There was time she wished she could smash the hammer to the tank when i had my 120, now she likes this giant tank too LOL.

Congrats on the new tank!! Looks like this will be a great build. That's a huge tank what are your plans for lighting that bad boy? Can't wait to see this bad boy come together.

I still have 2 AI sol gen 1 that i will be transfer over from my 34G, and will be using that one as QT. I am in the market for more LED. like to try the hydra 52 but pricey. Definitely will be using LED.

Finally! I knew you'd be back! Great looking tank... look forward to the build bud.

Your upgrade motivated me to have big tank quicker than i thought LOL. It was a bummer that i couldn't have time to be at your meeting

More update pictures as i go. Still have long way but at least i tank running with water and rock while i am finishing up my canopy.

post-307-0-38044300-1395607416_thumb.jpg

canopy frame.

post-307-0-42112300-1395607221_thumb.jpg

here are my helps

post-307-0-41765700-1395607483_thumb.jpg

working on my canopy

post-307-0-58899100-1395607563_thumb.jpg

my DC 5500 came in.

post-307-0-48815000-1395607647_thumb.jpg

so there is my skimmer DC1 model

post-307-0-29996000-1395607855_thumb.jpg

tank filling with fresh water for leak test

post-307-0-92890600-1395607894_thumb.jpg

Again there is my helps again.

post-307-0-80793100-1395608008_thumb.jpg

working on my plumbing. finished my manifold.

post-307-0-68589700-1395608045_thumb.jpg

canopy close to being done. still need doors yet

post-307-0-77794900-1395608089_thumb.jpg

Finished my setup plumbing.

post-307-0-04300700-1395607606_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-43715500-1395607948_thumb.jpg

Edited by reeflover

I like the rocks on the left side (first pic) I guess it depebds on the look you are going for. I might actually reduce the peak on the second tower and add some rock starting from the center and move to the left with some. I will tell you though, i had kind of what you had with kind of a cove area and I found that I would get detritis build up in there for some reason.

I like the rocks on the left side (first pic) I guess it depebds on the look you are going for. I might actually reduce the peak on the second tower and add some rock starting from the center and move to the left with some. I will tell you though, i had kind of what you had with kind of a cove area and I found that I would get detritis build up in there for some reason.

i am seeing the same thing too, plus the peak blocking the power head flow as well. will rearrange it. you you still looking for a pump for your mixing station? i have a eheim 1262 that i was going to use but i got new pump now.

i am seeing the same thing too, plus the peak blocking the power head flow as well. will rearrange it. you you still looking for a pump for your mixing station? i have a eheim 1262 that i was going to use but i got new pump now.

I am still looking for a pump how much and how powerful are these? I has to move water through about 4 bends and 20 feet. The 20 feet is pretty much flat with maybe a 1 foot rise

this pump should be good for what you doing it rates for 900gph. i like $75 for it or trade for coral. it could either be used in or external too.

I wish I had coral to trade, all of my stuff is still too little, not ready fragging. I can't wait until my corals are bigger to offset some of the cost for this hobby.

How old is the pump? I am interested.

i bought it used from a reefer in here. i believe it been used about over a year or so. I never really use it since i bought it. i tested it to see if it worked and checked the impeller, and still in great condition. Eheim made good pump and it is quite. lmk

Nice! I'm always jealous of those of you that make these incredible stands and canopies. I do well to get the frame built. Looking good, man.

Thanks, I usually don't have that patience to take time to build it but since this is my dream tank. I like to make it look more enjoyable you know instead of I should've do this, do that. Still have a lot to go. I am trying to get the canopy trim and the doors. Then paint it white inside, stain it outside. Can't wait to see the canopy done to put on the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

update on the canopy. Finally got it up on the tank but havent paint the inside and stain yet. I still need to built 2 cabinets on both sides of the tank. Will be using the cabinets to store the equipments. Wife wants one of her closet back. ha ha

What stain color should i go with.post-307-0-49091600-1396643841_thumb.jpg frontpost-307-0-25862800-1396643876_thumb.jpg back