IM Nuvo 24 Budget Build!

defender.TX

Into

Hello all! I've been a lurker here for a while but haven't been active on the forum as a poster. I figured it's about time that changed! I have an Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 reef that has been up and running since June 2013. My first aquarium (other than Betta bowls) was a Fluval Spec III that I bought December 2012. It started as a Betta Tank with gravel and decorations but I quickly tore it down and turned it into a planted cherry shrimp tank. I started lurking reef forums and decided I wanted to try a reef. While I was shopping for a good deal on a reef tank, Innovative Marine ran a Facebook giveaway for an IM Nuvo 24 and I won it! It all worked out and by June 2013 it was wet and cycling.

Budget Build?

This reef is a "budget build" because I'm a young guy with two toddlers (and one more on the way) so I have a lot of other concerns than my reef. Obviously if you're in this hobby it means you have some level of disposable income but I do have a budget and have to spend money on this tank wisely. So, with that said, this build is all about building the best possible reef on a modest budget!

12574740785_9bfec53ef3_h.jpg

Current Equipment:

Livestock:

• 2 Blue Leg Reef Hermit Crabs
  • 1 Fighting Conch (Mr. Crowley)
  • 1 Margarita Snail
  • 1 Zebra Turbo Snail
  • 1 Nassarius Snail
  • 1 Cerith Snails
  • 1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • 2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Crockett and Tubbs)
  • 1 Firefish Goby
  • 1 Blue Green Chromis

Coral:

• Ricordea florida
  • Caulastrea curvata (Candy Cane)
  • Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch)
  • Actinodicus sp. (Metallic Red Mushroom)
  • Briareium sp. (Murpho-Metallic Green Star Polyps)
  • Assorted Zoanthids

12574846453_47b4a13381_b.jpg

12575203694_3e34215b84_b.jpg

12575207834_12882b9d3f_b.jpg

12574759405_ce2d762549_b.jpg

12574865653_76f2dc4264_b.jpg

12575222864_a6e016f7cf_b.jpg

12574874363_bdca0eb7ab_b.jpg

Edited by defender.TX

Great looking tank! Welcome and congrats on stepping out of your lurker cave!

Great documentation by the way! It's like I was reading a tank of the month bio.

-Ty

Thanks! Frankly, I get a little too wordy sometimes when I'm talking about something I'm passionate about. Glad you enjoyed it!

That is a cool tank... I like that it is rectangular instead of the typical cube shape for a 24g.

Yea, I definitely love the dimensions of the tank. It's a full 3 foot long but only 1 foot wide and 13" deep. So, very shallow and long. I actually have a rescape coming up; I plan on taking out some of the rock and creating a valley between the rock with the GSP and the arch. The GSP is growing so fast I'm really worried it's going to grow up the arch and I would rather it stay isolated on it's own little "island".

With that said, the dimensions of this tank are definitely a challenge. The lighting that came with the tank is fine but it just puts me squarely in the low-medium light range and I would definitely like more light and a better spectrum of light. Since the tank is 3 foot long most of the LED options are pretty expensive. I just can't bring myself to spend $800 on LED lights for a tank that's only roughly 20 gallons of water. So I'm actually looking at picking up an ATI SunPower 4x24 from BRS and switching to T5s.

I am with KimP on the BMLs, I currently use 2 48" strips on my 180 and I only run them at 50%. One is a full reef spectrum and one is a 14k, I will be adding a super actinic in the near future. Whats really nice about the BMLs is that they are local. I needed an apex cable and I was able to run down to their shop and grap it.

Great photos! I love the dimensions and everything looks great. Have you looked into build my leds? Really good light strips and cheaper than other options.

I am with KimP on the BMLs, I currently use 2 48" strips on my 180 and I only run them at 50%. One is a full reef spectrum and one is a 14k, I will be adding a super actinic in the near future. Whats really nice about the BMLs is that they are local. I needed an apex cable and I was able to run down to their shop and grap it.

I have looked at BML - if I could get away with a single light I would do it. My concern is that I would actually need two of their 36" lights to get the same output as the 4x24 ATI SunPower. What do you guys think? I asked the question on their support forum as well because it looks like a great alternative to the T5s.

It just so happens that BML launched their new 20k reef spectrum today, that might be a great option for you.

Wow that 20K spectrum looks awesome over Aquadome's display tank. If I were going to go with BML it would probably be between that or the 12K reef spectrum. The 14K looks bluer than both of them to be honest, too blue in my opinion.

If you ever plan to move on to primarily SPS corals, stick with the T5. If you're gonna do the softie/LPS thing and don't mind the initial setup cost of the LEDs, they are a nice option to reduce consumption and waste heat.

I have heard this before. I've seen people have success growing SPS with LED but the best coloration and growth density I've ever seen on SPS was under T5. I doubt this tank will see much SPS, maybe a Monitpora capricornus because I love them, but my plan is to have an LPS dominated reef. The big plan right now is to open up some space on the sandbed with a rescape and have a lot of Acan's/Blastos/Lobophyillia.

Still, the ATI SunPower 4x24 is the cheapest option (even when considering the bulbs) to get up and running with a ton of light.