Jump to content

A Word of Caution!!


cmanning

Recommended Posts

I know is been said before but, please wear latex gloves when dealing w/zoanthids or any other corals. This is what happened:

This morning around 10, my husband and I decided to do some cutting on sps that where coming in contact w/ each other. I cleared out a patch of receding zoanthids w/ bare hands (no gloves), not a smart move. Husband left for work and everything was fine. Within an hour I started feeling disoriented, some dizziness and a throbbing headache, I even felt like I was about to pass out. Symptoms started to diminish around 7 pm. I was feeling better. You know when you were a kid and you had too much of something (cotton candy, chilli dogs....) and you over do it. You can't stand the smell or the sight of it. Well, I felt that way, I couldn't finish the rearranging in the tank......I didn't want to stick my hand in the tank or even think of zoanthids, just the thought of it made me ill (strange). But anyway, don't make the same mistake I made and PLEASE use uncoated latex gloves when dealing with corals.

-Cindy-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. I never knew that. Be careful, Cindy!

I"ll try to be more careful and take my time when it comes to fragging.

Also important to wear eye protection if you are fraging outside the tank.

Good point...when fragging outside the tank is important to wear the proper gear and always wash/rinse tools and anything that has come in contact w/corals.

some of the LPS can be nasty as well, especially frog spawn and torchs.

Yes, my husband had a rash on the back of hand and didn't notice the torch touching him......a people are different ---some can tolerate certain toxins better than others. Bristleworms do an number on me....when stung on fingers...they swell, itch (like crazy), get a little numbness.

It's always good to lean more to the side of caution. We don't think it will happen to us until it does!

Glad to hear all is well Cindy!

Dave-

That's true...until it happens to you then brain clicks on and you think.......hmmmm...should've worn the darn gloves. I'm glad I love this hobby, or I would be too scared to stick my hand in the tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, my husband had a rash on the back of hand and didn't notice the torch touching him......a people are different ---some can tolerate certain toxins better than others. Bristleworms do an number on me....when stung on fingers...they swell, itch (like crazy), get a little numbness.

Not only are people different, so are the corals. I had a whole tank of frogspawn that I used to mess with all the time, but one colony used to zap me good. Just a brush and my whole arm would be numb. All the others I could touch, move around, etc... Weird stuff!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes, i had the same affect with my frogspawn. The bigger it get the more the sting i think. It used to not bother me, but the other day i had my hand in tank and brushed up against it and it felt like a bull neddle sting. Always have to be aware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

im not sure if all zoanthids have the same toxin, but id bet they do...? the toxin contained within the zoanthid is called PALYTOXIN and is one of the most potent, and deadly toxins know to man at this time. way back in the day, tribal islanders used the toxin from zoanthids on thier spear tips to help kill prey while hunting.

a really sad story i heard of once, was about a guy getting ready for a frag swap. he had a bunch of different corals in buckets getting ready for transport. in one of the buckes were a bunch of zoanthids heading for the swap. sometime during the seperation of corals, the guys dog drank out of the zzoanthid bucket, and died shortly afterwards. the guy telling the story (who it happend to) said when he first noticed his dog was looking ill, it was only like an hour after the dog drank the water. he took the dog to the vet, they couldnt do anything, so he took the dog home, and the dog died like 7 hours later. i think from the time the dog drank the water, untill the time the dog died was only around 14 hours or something. alot of thoesdetails are probably way off, but i remember the dog had died almost within the same day as drinking the zoanthid water.

so yes, it is a very good idea to use protection when dealing with any coral! ive had experiences with swolen and itchy hands myself after placing and fragging corals bare handed. one time my lips actually started to itch. dont know exactly what brought that on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...