RO/DI waste water?

10gReef

I keep seeing mentions of the waste water from ro/di filters. I used to dump one line off my filter but decided to plumb it in. I have been making water this way for about a year and have seen no ill effects. I am curious now as to which line coming out is the waste.

IMG 20140209 223630

I plumbed it in to same line that I fill my water jugs with. I'm not dumping any water but using all of it to make salt water

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If your filter is producing 1:5 ration of filter water then you're running 20% Ro/DI and 80% tap water at best. Like Victoly said, all of the stuff that doesn't get stuck in the filters goes out through the drain line. If the drain line is going into your jugs, then you're not really removing anything except cash from your wallet.

• 3 weeks later...

True that. What you're doing is the same as just using a dechlorinator in your tap water. However...has anyone plumbed their waste line back into the intake? Should have pretty similar tds to the original tap right? Seems it would be efficient use of waste. How exactly would it burn through filters faster?

An RO membrane is just a fancy super effeceint mechanical filter and it will clog over time. Plumbing the waste back into the intake will clog it faster as the larger particles and molecules are not being flushed out and get trapped in the membrane. As Victoly pointed out the waste will be somewhat cleaner than the intake as the carbon and prefilter removes some stuff.