For those of you who have moved a long way

Jpowell490

Hey all,

So, I need some input. I have a job offer that would take me about 8 hours north of where I am now.

I have always moved fairly locally when it came to my tank. I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of trying to move the tank, or just get rid of everything and then rebuild when I get there?

Thoughts?

I lean toward just selling or giving everything away and starting over fresh. The company will pay for my relocation, but no moving companies will move a fish tank lol. I wouldn't want them to attempt it any way.

That is a tough call. I have some critters that I'd hate to part with. Personally, I'd take the opportunity to sneak a larger, or another, tank into the house. tongue.png

I'd probably leave the house moving stuff to the pros, and move my tank and live stock myself. 8 hours is a long time but really, we have things shipped overnight all the time. It isn't too bad, assuming you have a day or two to devote to it. (and a truck)

But... If time is a crunch and you have to start new job tomorrow. with no down time.... Then sell and rebuild may be the only way. Moving the tank that far will be a time commitment for sure.

I would start over with new equipment. you would have to have everything setup and running when you add your current livestock. most coral and fish should survive the 8 hour trip but would need to be added a little while after. my $.002

I only moved down the street and I broke everything down and kept the tank and few pieces of equipment. If you like the tank keep it and send your livestock to a good home. This is a good chance to try out some different corals or a new stocking list.

Yea, all of these are about what I was thinking as well. I will most likely just sell the majority of it or give it away.

Might take some of my fish if I can, but not a big deal.

Thanks everyone for your input, keep them coming.

Mr. Wade, you need a 60 cube? lol

Depends on how flush with money you are.

You most likely wont get but 50% of the value of any of your equip or livestock.

If you want to start fresh and can afford all new, even better toys, then go for it.

I've helped several people pack up for trips states away and never heard of any losses but a few broken corals.

Granted they had SUV/Vans that could fit their tank and all the occupants in 5gal buckets, while someone else dealt with all the other furniture and stuff in a moving truck.

Tank was last thing broken down, and first thing set up. I think some were moved into troughs with powerheads in the new house for a couple days before the whole tank was set up.

So again, it depends on what you can afford and how much help you have.

Sell it all (::cough cough::) I'll take those kessils. Then set up a new. Honestly if you can keep the fish warm enough they could tolerate the trip...but you wouldn't have a mature cycled tank ready for them to go straight into. Rough business starting over. Your tank looked fantastic. So clean

• Like 1

If I were having to move my tank, and decided I want to move it; I would still decide what live stock I could live without and what I couldn't and only move what I couldn't. That allows you to focus your attention and efforts on less and makes it easier to safeguard those important items. The 2nd thing I would consider is (if moving less that 10 hours away), if I could move my tank or a temporary setup to someone else's house for a week or two, to allow time to get moved and ready to for the tank/live stock move. This to me would be worth the extra effort in attempting to have something on the new end setup and ready to put stuff into.

I've moved aquariums between Florida and Texas twice. Just bought a couple of coolers, put everyone in the coolers, and ran a heater / airstone each night they were in the coolers. Kept everyone alive 5 days in the back of a U-haul this way once. And bonus! After everyone is moved into their new tank, you can bleach the coolers out and can keep your beer cold in them too. grin.png

• Like 1

It's really not that hard to move everything, I've done it several times. MCallahan (Mr. Saltwater Tank) has videos and or webpages about moving a tank and livestock long distances. If you keep your liverock submerged, ti will stay live, and you can put it into your tank with new sand and it's more or less already cycled. If you have super sensitive corals and clams it might not work well but the other stuff, including fish, should be fine. Like FloridaBoy said you need heaters and airstones and ways to hold everything but that's it.

Well, given that I just moved, and only about 30 minutes away, I would have to really think about moving my critters. my move (regarding the tank) was not as planned out as it should have been. I'm not sure how may fish I lost, but at least one. I expect 4 total, but I have yet to have my tank set back up so can't tell if they are gone or just hiding in the rocks. I'd PROBABLY sell the fish and inverts if I was moving 8 hours away.

yeah she says one tank is more than enough. She's obviously got some inbalances that will require years of therapy. Fortunately, I'm a firm believer of it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. if it showed up at my door, what's she gonna do?smile.png

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Well I turned that one down, money wasn't there. Good news is that I have 2 more offers. One, down the road a bit in Asheville, NC and the other one in Wilminton, NC.

Might not have to worry too much about the move now. I do like to start new though lol. I will update again as the fish tank turns lol.

Just my input, but we moved everything (5 tanks filled, 3 empty so 8 total) with us when we left Austin. We simply loved everything too much to part with it. It took loads of space, buckets, bubblers, and patience. But, we were successful, and upgraded one tank in the process. I will say though, that we drove all the way through in one go. Mind you it was only 4 hours but we made 2 trips to accommodate everyone. If you love it, bring it. If you feel like you can find it again or replace it, maybe don't. It is extremely doable though, if thats what you're worried about.

I've moved several tanks from San Antonio to Austin and never had a problem. Broke it all down, fish in coolers and put all tge water in 55 gallon plastic barrels and set it all back up. Knock on wood never broke anything or list a fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk