Limestone users

Robb in Austin

Howdy all!

I added ~40lbs of Pavestone Pulverized Limestone to my tank on Friday and the sand storm

is driving my nuts. The only way it settles is with all the pumps off, including the skimmer(in tank Tunze 9010).

Today I added a MJ1200 with a bag stuffed full of floss in an attempt to pull it out but anytime

the sand gets disturbed it puffs up a cloud.

Is this ever going to settle down and not cloud the water?

Thanks in advance!

Robb

Howdy all!

I added ~40lbs of Pavestone Pulverized Limestone to my tank on Friday and the sand storm

is driving my nuts. The only way it settles is with all the pumps off, including the skimmer(in tank Tunze 9010).

Today I added a MJ1200 with a bag stuffed full of floss in an attempt to pull it out but anytime

the sand gets disturbed it puffs up a cloud.

Is this ever going to settle down and not cloud the water?

Thanks in advance!

Robb

yes it will settle. i suggest puragin. its a wonderful product. add small bag (8$) from petsmart to your filter system. it will pick up the small fine particles that is making that cloudy water. make that stuff fly up and into the filter system and let puragin pull it out. you can also addd panty hose, great fine filter. put a few inches over each power head, so the water is blown through the pantyhose. rubber bands should hold it.

the stuff will only be removed if you filter it out. turn everything on and let it run. really a week with puragin and you should be set. i know i endorse puragin all the time but that is because it is a miracle product. good luck.

in the future you can cure limestone in a bucket that is acidic, it should help dislodge\disolve the dust. good luck.

I have 100 pounds of it in my tank, and to be honest, no it will not every settle down, but that is true of all sand even aragonite. What it will do is get covered in bacteria which will weigh it down some and make it harder to cloud up. Bottom line is you will have to get creative with the powerheads. I have three Koralia's in my tank and the sand does not move much now, but still does a little. It does not cloud now though unless I disturb it with my hand.

If you run a filter sock it will get most of it out but you have to clean the sock often. Otherwise over time the small stuff will work its way to the bottom which makes it cloud less. I have a ton of the small silt size stuff at the bottom (I can see it through the bottom glass panel).

Thanks for the info guys.

The pseudo-filter sock I made(fine mesh bag stuffed with filter floss secured over the MJ output) has helped a bit.

I turned my Koralias back on this morning to help stir it up in an attempt to get more fine stuff out.

I'll also stuff my Aquaclear 110 full of floss and Purigen to help out some more.

Robb

I honestly wouldn't waste the Purigen. That is more for excess nutrients and toxins. What you need is a big old filter sock ($7 at the LFS) and just keep running as much water as you can through it. Even better would be a canister filter with floss. You just need to keep stirring it up. If the tank is empty (of life) I would probably suggest you just take the sand out and rinse it in a bucket it until all the little stuff runs out. It is a PITA, but you can comfort yourself with the fact that you paid $4 for the sand. :P

I would run the filter sock but don't really have a way to hang one in the system(no center brace). I've got the AC110 and my homemade filtersock

running now and it's better than it was.

I've thought of pulling it all out but my rock is alive and I have 1 small blue leg hermit, 1 pep shrimp, pods, and some little button polyp and I don't want to kill what little life I have.

I did rinse it some before putting it in so I know it could be worse.

Thanks for the support guys!

Robb

I have the same probelm with my sand (since Thanksgiving) I still see small flecks flying around. I use a filter sock with carbon now.

Steve, What size sock do you have, where did you get it and what bulk material are you using? Your water looks really polished.

Dave-

Quick update for those interested.

The AC110 did wonders! It's not crystal clear like some tanks I see but it is pretty darn close.

I did a water change today, my first!, and even after having everything off for a while when I restarted

I didn't get any sandstorm. I suspect bacteria is helping also because anything that

does fly up settles pretty quick.

Dave,

I scouted a bunch of big filter socks at RCA and Aquatek. They have tie on and those with rings.

For my bulk material I went with polyester batting from Walmart. It's in the sewing section.

I have used the fluffy type previously but used a sheet type that comes in a roll, for making quilts,

this time. It works better and easier than the fluffy.

Robb