Best glass cleaner?

KarenM

I have the magnets and the long handled razor blade, but I'm looking for something better. I've decided to leave the back glass for the snails and urchin, but I want the front and sides clean, free of algae and coraline. What's the best scraper/cleaner, how much does it cost, and where do you get it?

I have the magnets and the long handled razor blade, but I'm looking for something better. I've decided to leave the back glass for the snails and urchin, but I want the front and sides clean, free of algae and coraline. What's the best scraper/cleaner, how much does it cost, and where do you get it?

its not working well?

what is growin on the front that you cant control

or you jsut askign if there is a better product out there?

Single-edge razor blades are all you need. Works every time. And you can get a small plastic handle for them (they're in the paint isle at Home Depot).

I have shreaded the silicone before so be careful using the single edge razors... The silicone seal is essential to the health of the occupants of the tank as well as the health of the occupants of the house where the tank is located. lol.

Sorry, just a bad attempt at some early am humor. But I really did shread the silicone before.

its not working well?

what is growin on the front that you cant control

or you jsut askign if there is a better product out there?

I have a good sized magnetic one, but it really takes some scrubbing to get the green algae off, and it won't even touch the coraline. Using it kicks the sand all around, too.

Single-edge razor blades are all you need. Works every time. And you can get a small plastic handle for them (they're in the paint isle at Home Depot).

I have one of those, but my tank is 24" tall and my arm is not. :lol: I'd really like something that I can use daily, without disrupting the sand and all the fish.

Kent Pro long handled scraper with replaceable blade. Handle lengths up to 36" available. Works great.

Ditto... I had the 35" version and it worked great. I actually need to get another one soon since I left my old one with the old tank when I moved.

Note to self: When you think you are done with the hobby, you are not, so keep all your stuff. :P

i believe even at the local chain petstore are long handelded blade cleaners. i think only 24" tho.

b

I have one, I'd like to not put my hand/arm into the tank. And holding it by the very end of the handle, there's no pressure on the blade and it just moves across the coraline. Does that make any sense?

Yeah it does. Unfortunately once coralline gets a pretty solid hold it is tough to get off without elbow grease and a short scrapper. Once you have it clean though, you can use the long handle version often to keep it from getting hold. :P

You might also try out the Nimble Nano (http://www.nimblenano.com/). A lot of people over at Nano-Reef.com use it and love it. I think what separates it from a regular mag-float is the guy uses stringer magnets.

I guess be careful though, it sounds like some of them are really strong ... so don't get too string of a one and accidentally crack your glass when putting it in the tank :P