Dreaded Bryopsis Removal - test kit recommendations?

Mlaw

well I have confirmed that I have bryopsis in my 29 biocube. I also have hair algae that I've been manually removing for awhile now and I think I was in denial about the bryopsis.

I'm planning on dosing Kents Tech M. I'm going to raise my mag levels 100ppm per day until I hit 1700 and then hold for 2 weeks manually removing the big clumps as the start to show signs of dying off.

I'd like to get a test kit to keep track of where we are etc. Any recommendations on which one to get?

Salifert works really well and is easy to use. I think the red sea one is good also. Neither are cheap though.

I believe they all top out at 1500ppm. Easiest way to go above 1500 when you need to with salifert is to double the titrant.

You can always do a 2:1 ratio where you dilute your sample with rodi and go up to 3200 or 3000 depending on kit. Keep in mind you also halve your precision (e.g, if it's 20 ppm, when you do a dilution you multiply by your dilution factor, so a 2:1 would give you 40 ppm error range.

You can always do a 2:1 ratio where you dilute your sample with rodi and go up to 3200 or 3000 depending on kit. Keep in mind you also halve your precision (e.g, if it's 20 ppm, when you do a dilution you multiply by your dilution factor, so a 2:1 would give you 40 ppm error range.

I was up to something like 2500ppm when I was treating it in my nano a few years ago. This would be a more economical way to test with an acceptable degree of error IMO.

• Like 1

My Red Sea and salifert magnesium tests read identical every time. I started with Red Sea so I prefer them but the salifert is good also (many people believe better). The Red Sea test is nice because you can just purchase replacement chemicals when you run out which are significantly cheaper than a brand new kit

Also...I have a little bryopsis, not a full blown outbreak, but have had a little here and there for years, and my newly acquired tomini tang eats it. Not voraciously or anything but he does in fact nibble at it.

Edited by Bpb