Clown fish fighting

Cuber54

I have to percula clowns that are just nipping and fighting all the time and it's driving me nuts- I know that some of this behavior could be them pairing but this is really getting concerning to me- I bought them from lfs and they were in separate tanks- I figured they would be ok when put together- well now one is just nipping at the other. My question is- does any of the LFS offer any credit? at this point I want some clowns and I think this pair would be better separated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misleading title.

I got all excited about starting the CFL (Clownfish Fighting League) for fun and profit.

Back to the drawing board I guess........ unless anyone is in fact interested?

I'll put my female Gold Bar Maroon up against anyone.

Do we need different female and male leagues?

Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Okay cool.

So I'm thinking maybe a 20g Long as the standard "ring" tank. I think something like a 40 breeder might be a little too big and your fish would just hide from mine and I would win by default. Nobody likes winning by default.

Are we wanting a Anemone in each corner for them to run back into to recuperate?

Cleaner shrimp, or cleaner wrasse to help fix them up?

Helfrichi firefish I think would make good ring girls.

Sgt. Major for the referee?

I have to percula clowns that are just nipping and fighting all the time and it's driving me nuts- I know that some of this behavior could be them pairing but this is really getting concerning to me- I bought them from lfs and they were in separate tanks- I figured they would be ok when put together- well now one is just nipping at the other. My question is- does any of the LFS offer any credit? at this point I want some clowns and I think this pair would be better separated

It's common for small clownfish to bicker until they determine who is the female and who is the male. They should calm down once they determine the dominant fish. I wouldn't worry about it unless they show signs of stress or injury.

It's common for small clownfish to bicker until they determine who is the female and who is the male. They should calm down once they determine the dominant fish. I wouldn't worry about it unless they show signs of stress or injury.

on the other hand, you could have two females and then have issues. A Male clown can turn into a female, but it can not turn back; since you purchased two clown from seperate tanks you could have gotten two females despite a difference in size. Only way to know for sure would be to ensure one or the other of the two fish you have had a large fish in it's original clutch.

I like the 20 L idea. However, my clown would not need a anemone.....for she is not fond of my current one.......she'll need her side kick though....littler clownfish as a coach and of course!!!

Okay....so I have had "rockstarwiggle" for three years now. once I put two more in the tank, RSW went crazy and started attacking one of the smaller clowns, so I got rid of it and now its just two and every now and then they'll fight. It seems my first clown was a female all along!!

are they both the same size? it is possible for them to bboth be females already, For me it took several tries with different mates, but in the long run i had to buy one that was extremely smaller then the other. Then it took a few days of the smaller one submissing to the bigger one for them to actually pair up. Clown fish look like cute little fish but can be nasty little s****.

i apologize if i repeated others answers, i just read the entire thread

on the other hand, you could have two females and then have issues. A Male clown can turn into a female, but it can not turn back; since you purchased two clown from seperate tanks you could have gotten two females despite a difference in size. Only way to know for sure would be to ensure one or the other of the two fish you have had a large fish in it's original clutch.

And that's why I said "small" clownfish smile.png . Two females fighting would be pretty violent and you would surely know if that were the case.

i think it may be in Mr. Cob's "clown fish breeding first go" thread (title is close, but may not be exact), but there is a condo configuration to try to bond clowns. if you have two females it probably wont work. but it was something like getting two hang on breeder nets and stacking them into bunk breeders. one fish in the top and one on the bottom. some time later you put them together in one breeder. there may be an intermittent step of cutting the bottom out of one of them, but my memory is fuzzy.

It is also possible that you bought 1 ocellaris and 1 Percula. I have 4 occy's in my 60 cube and they are getting along great. They were two separate pairs that I added later. I have another true black onyx perc that is SUPER aggressive and tries to kill anything (clowns) I put with her.

So a pic would be worth a thousand words.

Archived