Programming apex through the display

Has anyone programmed an outlet using the display only? I'm in middle of moving and don't have the ability to control it through my computer at that house. My temps have been having huge fluctuations so I finally broke down and bought a heater. Problem is I can't get the temp stable with the heater. I'm thinking the best thing to do is crank the heater all the way up and let the apex control it. Is that a good idea? If so, I'm having trouble getting the outlet programmed using the display. I need to get this stable because I'm losing corals :/ moving sucks!

ACK! do you have a laptop and a router? you dont have to have an internet connection, all you have to do is be on the same network. i would go that route before i cranked a heater up to max (unless its an undersized heater).

This is my programming

Fallback OFF

If Temp < 76.7 Then ON

If Temp > 77.0 Then OFF

I have my Heater's temp set to 77-78 just in case the apex outlet was to fail.

My heater outlet failed and i had NO idea. The heater stayed on all summer long, chiller cycled for an entire summer and i thought it was just because i was running closed tops :(

My heater outlet failed and i had NO idea. The heater stayed on all summer long, chiller cycled for an entire summer and i thought it was just because i was running closed tops sad.png

I experienced the same problem 2 summers ago.

This is my programming

Fallback OFF

If Temp < 76.7 Then ON

If Temp > 77.0 Then OFF

I have my Heater's temp set to 77-78 just in case the apex outlet was to fail.

My heater outlet failed and i had NO idea. The heater stayed on all summer long, chiller cycled for an entire summer and i thought it was just because i was running closed tops sad.png

Working equipment compensating for failing equipment = ugly electricity bill. Alternately the tank would have been cooked if not for the chiller.

I have my heater and chiller about a degree higher and lower than the apex. This way, I let the Apex control it, but the failsafe is the thermostat in the heater and chiller. I also calibrate the Apex temperature probe about every 2 months, and it needs adjustment every time.

Good thing I asked :) It's a 300watt. I cannot get the thing to keep anywhere near a stable temp on its own. I have a laptop and a router there, we even still have internet service, but my apex went through the downstairs router which is now at the new house. So I can't access the apex anymore. If it's not doable easily through the display then I'll have my husband get it to work. I am clueless with this network stuff.

You should be able to program the Apex network interface through the display.

But, I'm assuming you had it physically plugged into the router with an ethernet cable. Do you have any idea if you set a static IP address? If not it should be available as soon as you plug it into the new router, you will just need to figure out what the new IP address is.

how long has the heater been in? depending on the size of the tank it could take a day or two, but i wouldn't think you should be getting huge fluctuations in it. maybe you got a bad heater? undersized heater? the dial may not match the temp that it is set to, so you may have to fiddle with that.

Well I got a chance to mess around with the display again. If I can make this work then I won't have to fool with the networking stuff. I set the outlet as a heater. What temp spread do people like to use? Ideally the temp would stay between 77-78. That's also the default settings. I didn't realize the apex would control both ends, turning it on and off according to the temp. Also what should I set the heater itself on? It didn't put out any heat at all until I turned it up to 90. It sat completely cold for days when I set it to 78. Maybe the heater's a dud :/ And should I increase the range in the apex settings?

I would set it to like 84 on the heater (to see if you can get it to engage), and then max our your heat at 80 in the apex. if i had a spare heater I'd offer it

I'll try that. Thanks!

Archived