Green Chromis - can it be saved

JoelATX

I've had this fish a little over a year, first it got lateral line disease. And had black around it's eyes. I removed carbon and that went away. Then I noticed that it's coordination was off when it tried to eat(see video). It doesn't get the lunge, open mouth, swallow process. I've been over feeding so it could get some food.

Now it's got this notch out of the body, with a line in the body.

Should I just send him to a happier place, or can he get well?

Here is a link to a video:

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A45oqs3qobAEJ

post-2099-0-65887000-1389556141_thumb.jp

bump

I move things to a QT when I notice illness. craigslist can yeild a $25 QT easily which to me, is cheaper than having a less than 100% fish in display.

The stress alone from a sick fish can lead to seemingly non-related issues in other fish.

If you have to - I hear freezing them in a container of water is most humane.

He is in his own tank, Does anyone think the tank would be contaminated.

The fish has been looking worse for days, and I'd also heard that the most humane way is the freezer.

Even a few days back, when he looked better, the not being able to eat or being blind don't is not promise.

I'm so sorry to hear about your chromis. They are one of my favorite fish to see in an aquarium. I've got 6 of my own. The poor thing looks a bit worse for wear and if you are not seeing any improvement and he still isn't eating, if it were me, I would look into euthanizing it. I euthanize fish with clove oil, as it makes them go to sleep first before the lethal dose is added. Of course, you know the condition of the fish best. If you think he might turnaround, keep trying.

It's always possible that the tank could be contaminated with something, but unless you can figure out what is wrong with the chromis, it's hard to determine 100%. You might try leaving the tank fallow for many weeks before you add more livestock. It's hard to treat a display tank with live rock and the such. However, chromis can just have weird things happen to them. I originally purchased a good-sized batch of chromis for my 150g and only have 6 left. There were 2 that turned out looking thin like yours and quit feeding. Their swimming was erratic at times. They eventually disappeared. None of the other fish in the tank were ever affected.

What kind of flakes are you feeding him? I don't like to feed anything that floats only because of the potential to cause bloat. I recommend New Life Spectrum reef fish pellets because they sink and are loaded with vitamins and contain garlic (which helps in curing disease). I'd try that before killing your fish - I bought an emaciated blenny that I didn't think was going to make it, but he did and he's totally healthy now. I alternate with the pellets and frozen mysis.

Most of his life he got mysis a couple times a week, and marine pellets the other days. Remember he has lost his coordination, he doesn't get the lunge, open mouth and suck food in, process right. So he tries to eat the pellets but they just sink to the bottom with him chasing after. If I feed mysis now, 99% hits the bottom.

I'd move him to a smaller tank, this will allow him both some protection and the ability to try to get food in a smaller environment as well as to get him out of your primary tank. As long as he's trying to eat I think he has a chance, even if it's a slim one.

• Like 1