Neptune Discontinues Apex Lite!!

That sucks. The lite is a huge step up from the Jr., and the full is overkill for a lot of tanks.

I currently don't use any of the features a full apex would have. I can only assume they have some replacement in the works, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The jr did/still does do everything I need, the lite was pretty much overkill for my tanks. And the full is a giant waste of money for me. Guess where my next controller *won't* be coming from.

The jr did/still does do everything I need, the lite was pretty much overkill for my tanks. And the full is a giant waste of money for me. Guess where my next controller *won't* be coming from.

but, you said the jr still works for you?

but, you said the jr still works for you?

Yes, but I'm going to need a new controller soon for a big tank that is going up. I'll be buying from DA, since Neptune apparently thinks everyone wants to spend a huge chunk of money on un-needed stuff.

Just FYI, I currently run 6 tanks, down from 8. But about to be 7................

I'd save up for a full apex before I touch a DA unit again. Maybe a reef angel even. I have a reef keeper on my discus tank and I think I would take a coralife power strip over it if I were to buy one now.

Then again, maybe that's their reasoning.

Honestly, I run both DA and Neptune. I've had problems from both, at about the same level. I pretty much walked away from Neptune when they did away with the ACjr and wanted everyone to go to the lite. Higher price, fewer outlets, no thanks.

This is not my only expensive hobby (I also have show dogs and a saltwater flats boat), and I can function just fine with a homebrew temp controller and timers on my lights. I use controllers for the convenience. If the price gets too high, this 7 tank owner will just do it a different way. I don't take advantage of all the features on these things anyway, so they don't really have a hook in me. I had the most gorgeous tank for the longest time with a homebrew temp controller and timers on my old school mh/vho lights.

I want the apex but will not do much more than plug and play. No programming will happen here. What aspects are must haves? What can wait.? What is a total waste?

I have vortechs and a heater I definitely want to control. Ph and salinity seem like great benefits. Can bml lights be controlled?

Is there a reason to hook up the osmolater to it?

Here is what I use my controllers for, I'm strictly plug and play as well (but you WILL be programming, otherwise it won't do anything at all). They turn my lights on and off at set times (actinics and whites, separate channels), control my heater(s) and fans to keep the temp stable (within .5 degrees), turn my sump lights on and off (reverse cycle). Turn off heat producing items if the temp starts climbing out of control (mainly lights). That's it. I don't monitor ph, do sunrise/sunset lighting, program space missiles or anything else. I've always subscribed to the KISS principle. YMMV, but imho this is a hobby. Once it turns into work, I'll find a different hobby.

Here is what I use my controllers for, I'm strictly plug and play as well (but you WILL be programming, otherwise it won't do anything at all). They turn my lights on and off at set times (actinics and whites, separate channels), control my heater(s) and fans to keep the temp stable (within .5 degrees), turn my sump lights on and off (reverse cycle). Turn off heat producing items if the temp starts climbing out of control (mainly lights). That's it. I don't monitor ph, do sunrise/sunset lighting, program space missiles or anything else. I've always subscribed to the KISS principle. YMMV, but imho this is a hobby. Once it turns into work, I'll find a different hobby.

Good feedback. I understand there will be some "programming". I was referring to more elaborate " code building". I'm still a noob and love hearing different reasoning and experience.

Sherita - I love your tag line "I glue small animals to rocks"

Wardlaw - I don't have my apex yet but from what I have seen the programming is pretty straight forward - and there seems to be a lot of apex users here that can help with the programming:

the below is copied from Ken's Reef : http://kenargo.com/apexProgram/index.php

EmailAlarm
Set OFF
If TankTmp > 79.0 Then ON
If TankTmp < 75.0 Then ON
If SumpTmp > 79.0 Then ON
If SumpTmp < 75.0 Then ON
If Outlet CO2_Empty = ON Then ON
If Power EB8_3 Off 000 Then ON
If Power EB8_4 Off 000 Then ON
If Power EB4_5 Off 000 Then ON
If Power EB8_6 Off 000 Then ON
If Power EB8_7 Off 000 Then ON
If Outlet SumpHigh = ON Then ON
If Outlet SumpLow = ON Then ON
If Outlet WaterBug = ON Then ON
If Outlet FreshSaltLow = ON Then ON
If Outlet TopOffFail = ON Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON

I want the apex but will not do much more than plug and play. No programming will happen here. What aspects are must haves? What can wait.? What is a total waste?

I have vortechs and a heater I definitely want to control. Ph and salinity seem like great benefits. Can bml lights be controlled?

One of the best parts about the Apex is that you don't have to actually program anything. Every outlet has a list of available functions that it can be set for such as lighting, pumps, heaters, etc.. Unless you want to do some complex stuff most of the outlets don't need to be custom programmed.

For example here is my main MH lighting setup:

mh-500.PNG

Here's a custom one for my Alk Dosing:

alk-dosing.PNG

The BML lighting depends on the power supplies you have some are controllable some are not.

IMO the interface is what sets Apex apart from Reef Keepers. It's extremely easy to use. Mostly just fill in on and off times and temperatures and such. I can control and monitor my entire system from my laptop, tablet, or cell phone. Everything has a nice GUI screen and the Apex connects to your home router out of the box.

The reef keeper requires you to plug it into a USB port on a computer or tediously program it through the display interface. You can get a NET module for it which costs about $100 extra but you still don't get anywhere near the functionality of the Apex.

One of the best parts about the Apex is that you don't have to actually program anything. Every outlet has a list of available functions that it can be set for such as lighting, pumps, heaters, etc.. Unless you want to do some complex stuff most of the outlets don't need to be custom programmed.

For example here is my main MH lighting setup:

mh-500.PNG

Here's a custom one for my Alk Dosing:

alk-dosing.PNG

The BML lighting depends on the power supplies you have some are controllable some are not.

IMO the interface is what sets Apex apart from Reef Keepers. It's extremely easy to use. Mostly just fill in on and off times and temperatures and such. I can control and monitor my entire system from my laptop, tablet, or cell phone. Everything has a nice GUI screen and the Apex connects to your home router out of the box.

The reef keeper requires you to plug it into a USB port on a computer or tediously program it through the display interface. You can get a NET module for it which costs about $100 extra but you still don't get anywhere near the functionality of the Apex.

thanks jestep!

is there a wireless option or do you have to hardwire into the router?

how do i know if i have the controllable BML lights? there is an unused cable on the power supply...i suppose this is for dimming

I have mine ethernet wired but my router is about 3 feet from my tank.

Otherwise if you want to just go wireless use one of these - http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=241&model=TL-WR702N, and set it up on client mode. We now have 5 of these on our office printers that aren't near ethernet outlets. Awesome product that's cheap and takes about 2 minutes to setup.

I would assume the extra cable is for dimming but you would probably want to check with BML to make sure it's compatible.

I have mine ethernet wired but my router is about 3 feet from my tank.

Otherwise if you want to just go wireless use one of these - http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=241&model=TL-WR702N, and set it up on client mode. We now have 5 of these on our office printers that aren't near ethernet outlets. Awesome product that's cheap and takes about 2 minutes to setup.

I would assume the extra cable is for dimming but you would probably want to check with BML to make sure it's compatible.

fantastic! thanks again

Archived