Cleaning Plastic 30-55 Gallon Barrels

nuxx

I'm curious if it was be OK to buy 30 or 55 gallon plastic barrels that had help detergents/soaps?

Can they be cleaned, or just avoided?

Also, anybody know where to buy 30 gallon barrels in town? 55s seem easy enough to find, not the 30s though.

I've bought used Dr. Pepper syrup barrels on Craigslist. The guy has 15g, 30g, and 55g barrels, they're the blue plastic with dual threaded lids. I actually like making RO because even after a few years I still get the occasional scent of Dr. Pepper.

I've bought used Dr. Pepper syrup barrels on Craigslist. The guy has 15g, 30g, and 55g barrels, they're the blue plastic with dual threaded lids. I actually like making RO because even after a few years I still get the occasional scent of Dr. Pepper.

Do you have his contact info? So many on CL to wade through :/

$100 for 50G storage seems expensive.

Beer ingredients come in 55G barrels. Seems like $20 was the cost. If the ingredients are good enough for human consumption, it should be safe for aquaculture.

Patrick

Just bought one of these:

50_gallon_vertical_tank.jpg

http://www.norwesco.com/page.cfm?menu=34

50 gallon capacity and only 18". I can handle the 53" height. I only bought one to see if I can make it fit in the tighter spot... might need to cut a shelf ;)

Made of FDA approved plastic and new, so no chance of anything harmful being used prior.

Also just read about some pretty neat dual head pumps for automatic water changes that pump and pull the exact same amount of water for new saltwater and draining the old salt water.