Powerhead in Refugium...good or bad?

KKAAY

Just curious to see what members think about this concept and it its beneficial or not. I have a 20g sump, 3 compartment with the refugium in the middle section. my cheato is not doing so good and I have researched and am going to change the lighting on it.

if it is beneficial, what size would you recommend to be put in that section?

I threw a maxijet in mine. I kept getting that slimy green algae all of the chaeto and the hayi that I have in there. Seems to be working a bit. It doesn't tumble though, just provides movement and a little surface agitation to the middle chamber.

With my sump, the detritus collects in the middle chamber so it works best if I just let it settle there instead of increasing the flow with a powerhead. If I had a liverock only chamber I may put a power head in there to keep the flow up. So, it just depends on your application. I never felt the need to tumble chaeto though I heard that it does benefit from it.

I'm in the 'it depends' category. My sump/fuge has very high mono-directional flow, so no power head. But in a more gentle flow system, I can see where it may need some circulation in a certain zone.

Don't feel bad about the chaeto.... For the record, I kill chaeto. sad.png My best guess is that the caulerpa out competes it for resources and it dies a slow death.

Archived