Oregon State study shows that high nutrients lead to disease/bleaching

victoly

interesting study. clearly they need a deep sand bed...wait. macro...wait. i know, dilution...dangit.

actually, how cool would it be if they slowed the flow around the problem areas and planted a giant underwater garden to pull out excess nutrients. huge fields of kelp with nutrient recycling by human consumption of nori. although, you may need to market it with "maricultured nori" and not "grown using your poop".

I would be very interested also. I'm also curious if they looked at the problem on the species level. Corals like Pocillopora damicornis which are found in mangrove swamps or Acropora tortusa which is found in lagoons may show a very different response than a species found on reef crests. I'm also curious what the levels are compared to the levels used in of Dr. Heslinga's research with Tridacna spp. clams that showed a four fold increase in growth rate with the addition on dissolved inorganic nitrogen fertilizers. I would also be interested in seeing if their research linked to having too many zooxanthellae like in this study: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121014162914.htm Apparently corals can be anorexic or obese just like us. hmm.png

• Like 1