FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

I'm going to apologize now because this song will be stuck in your head the rest of the day. doh.gif I've introduced all the angels except for the large emperor angel. Up next weekend will be the "misc" fish and followed by the mass of tangs (achilles, powder blue, yellow belly blue hippo, purple, orange shoulder, and blonde naso) the weekend after that.

• Like 4

I'm going to apologize now because this song will be stuck in your head the rest of the day. doh.gif I've introduced all the angels except for the large emperor angel. Up next weekend will be the "misc" fish and followed by the mass of tangs (achilles, powder blue, yellow belly blue hippo, purple, orange shoulder, and blonde naso) the weekend after that.

Woohoo! he went for it! Welcome to the club! haha!

http://vimeo.com/184374169

So... I'm at a bit of a decision. I'm staring at 4 smaller angels in the tank and it looks so peaceful right now. I know the minute I add 6 tangs, the pace in there is going to get a lot more hectic.

I'm contemplating rehoming a few tangs. Right now I have a purple, yellow belly hippo, Orange shoulder, blonde naso, powder blue, and Achilles. My thoughts are to keep the blonde naso, powder blue, and Achilles. The Orange shoulder might make that list too but I keep staring at how large he is in the tub and not sure I want him to be the big guy cruising the tank.

Then I can focus on adding a few wrasses and anthias and not have so many big fish in the tank... give a little more size distribution in there.

So... I'm at a bit of a decision. I'm staring at 4 smaller angels in the tank and it looks so peaceful right now. I know the minute I add 6 tangs, the pace in there is going to get a lot more hectic.

I'm contemplating rehoming a few tangs. Right now I have a purple, yellow belly hippo, Orange shoulder, blonde naso, powder blue, and Achilles. My thoughts are to keep the blonde naso, powder blue, and Achilles. The Orange shoulder might make that list too but I keep staring at how large he is in the tub and not sure I want him to be the big guy cruising the tank.

Then I can focus on adding a few wrasses and anthias and not have so many big fish in the tank... give a little more size distribution in there.

I agree on the Orange Shoulder Tang. The three large angels are really the stars of the tank and you don't need another 14" cruiser to provide interest. I think 3-5 of a small 2-5" fish would be a better use of load. There are a lot of options, both conventional and outside of the box. I would avoid Halichoeres Wrasses since you have urchins, but you could try various flashers or fairy wrasses. I personally like Scott's Fairy Wrasses and you can keep them in a group. Chromis or anthias are always popular and come in different colors. Another option is to go with a group of cardinalfish or damsels. I have four damsels in QT and I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested. Dartfish look pretty awesome in groups. Schooling Bannerfish swim in tandem once they pair up and look amazing swimming all around the tank together. Mark Callahan likes Australian Stripey's but they're not reef safe IMO and they look like Green Scats. Ew! The last thing I can think of off the top of my head are Genicanthus angels, but I think it would be too risky to add them now.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was just going to stick with one or two fairy wrasses, 3-5 evansi anthias, and 2-3 pyramid butterflies and call it a day. If Gig'em can QT me 2-3 purple queen anthias, I may have to make room for those. [emoji4]

I'm still torn on the orange shoulder tang. He is quite stunning right now in full adult form. I've pretty much decided the yellow belly hippo and purple tang are out. Maybe I can keep the orange shoulder until that naso starts getting bigger and then rehome the orange shoulder down the road.

I'm still not accounting for the fact that ich may blow up all my plans and make me get rid of both the achilles and powder blue. In that case, I may keep the purple and for sure the orange shoulder. I'll give it a month with the Achilles and the powder blue in the main tank before I signal the all clear.

Purple Queen Anthias are notoriously bad shippers and usually die in QT. I guess that's what makes them special. What about Bartlett's or Carberryi's? They're about the same price and half as much risk. Why did you decide against the Purple Tang? I had one back in 2000 before the price exploded. I've always wanted a Convict Tang, but I'm done stocking with my four. I don't know how large your blonde is, but mine has been growing slowly. I purchased a 2" Naso and 1" Regal at the same time in May. Today the Naso is 3" and the Regal is 3.5, but twice as thick.

Purple Queen Anthias are notoriously bad shippers and usually die in QT. I guess that's what makes them special. What about Bartlett's or Carberryi's? They're about the same price and half as much risk. Why did you decide against the Purple Tang? I had one back in 2000 before the price exploded. I've always wanted a Convict Tang, but I'm done stocking with my four. I don't know how large your blonde is, but mine has been growing slowly. I purchased a 2" Naso and 1" Regal at the same time in May. Today the Naso is 3" and the Regal is 3.5, but twice as thick.

Uh yeah, I want to keep only difficult fish Sascha... jeez! [emoji6]

I voted against the purple tang because I think two territorial tangs were enough... and out of the achilles, powder blue, and purple... the purple lost out.

Oh yeah, hippos grow like crazy fast. My old blonde naso I felt grew pretty fast but my wife always tells me I have no concept of time.

• Like 1

Haha, poor tang. bye.gif

If you do re-home him let me know, a purple tang is on my want list. I would need to have a discussion with you on if you think he's compatible with my current tangs (powder blue and regal).

I'll let you know. I've already gotten a couple people asking about it. I'll find some way to make it fair if I decide to sell it... but that'll be at least a month as I want to make sure the Achilles and powder blue are settled in first.

Depends on the size of powder blue and hippo. He shouldn't have a problem with the hippo if he's much larger or much smaller. Purple is about 3.5-4". I think he'll try to murder the powder blue or the powder blue will try to murder him in almost any scenario I can think of. If you have a lot of fish, potentially that will be a much lower risk. If you can take the powder blue tang out for a bit, introduce them together in another tank and once they stop trying to kill each other, reintroduce both into the main tank again, I think that's your best bet for harmony.

He would be a bit smaller than my powder and I don't have a high fish population now. Probably not a good idea. I'll take my name out of the running.

Yeah, he would beat the heck out of the purple tang and probably get pretty torn up himself in the process. Purple tangs have some of the largest scapels to body ratio of the commonly kept tangs.