Co2

bige

What type of plants do you have?

Most plants will benefit immediately and doubly if you start using fertilizers at the same time. They'll basically use what's available to them and excess CO2 is typically degassed. As long as you use a controller or timer to maintain a safe level I would start immediately.

If you want to look into ferts, I recommend the estimative index method. It's cheap and really easy to do and as long as you do the water changes weekly, it's pretty much foolproof.

I'm using miracle grow organic potting mix for substrate. I've used it in the past and never needed ferts. And I used co2 and my plants grew crazy fast. I used the same potting mix in my 10 g with no co2 and plants were so so. But java fern exploded. So I guess I'll start the co2 again. I'll go a rent tank in the next few weeks.

With MGOPM you will likely not need to dose. What did you cap it with? Like others have said, if you can start pressurized co2 immediately and the rewards will be great as you already know. If you know of a good deal on a pressurized co2 setup please share as well. I'm looking for one for under $100 as well

I've always had planted tanks. So I just have the stuff from years ago. I rent co2 tanks just cause its easier. I'm gonna shop around and see if much has changed on price. I've used a few local places for welding gas but haven't filled up in awhile. I might go to this place in bastrop or la grange. Last time I was there, the co2 was free with rental. And the tank rental for the 5# bottle was $3 a month.

I have a pretty top notch bottle/reg combo for sale :). No rental fees required.

I've been looking at that. When I welded a lot, I owned my own bottles and got tired of the cleaning, pressure checks, and re-certification of my bottles. Then one day the guy said just rent this one and you can walk in and just drop off the bottle grab a new one and go. I didn't even have to go inside. Have things changed on that?

Also, fish tank CO2 lasts so long that cleaning is pretty much irrelevant. Once you get a good output pressure on the reg, you really don't need to worry about it. I run CO2 almost 24/7 on my FW tank and a 10# bottle lasts more than a year.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone seen a drop in pH with CO2? It adds carbonic acid to the water, which is why marine biologists are freaked out about 'global warming'. I know with the SW tank opening windows raised pH as CO2 was blown out of the room. Do you see a big swing, or it's small enough to where you don't care?

DIssolving CO2 in a planted tank will absolutely drop the pH, markedly if you overdo it.

That's what I assumed. How much of a drop have any of you observed? Mine's around 7.2 and I don't really want to drop below 7. I have Anubias and Java Fern, so I don't think I need CO2, yet.

Dissolved carbonates are going to be the primary driver on how far you can drop pH, but you can definitely drop it to detrimental levels if you leave the CO2 on for too long. That's why many people run pH controllers on planted tanks to stop it.

Dissolved carbonates are going to be the primary driver on how far you can drop pH, but you can definitely drop it to detrimental levels if you leave the CO2 on for too long. That's why many people run pH controllers on planted tanks to stop it.

Yea, I'd definitely use my Apex for that. I guess it'd be a better way to reduce the pH than using peat moss.

Today I saw a post from a person saying that using CO2 in a tank with limestone caused a massive hardness spike. That makes sense to me as the carbonic acid means lower, more acidic pH means more dissolution of the limestone. Anyone else experience that?

Archived