DIY Canopy!

Makena95GT

This was my first time building anything without my dad around to help. He moved out a bit ago, so I don't have the luxury of asking him for help anymore.

I took the low-profile plans from this site:

http://www.garf.org/calculators/BuildLowProfileCanopy.asp

And kinda switched it up a bit here and there to fit in with the fact that I only had one piece of wood that wasn't quite 6 inches wide. and was 1 inch in height rather than 3/4

I should've taken more pics through the whole process I did today, but I forgot until towards the end of the day

I use the big manly circular saw for the first time ever. By myself. Only took me an hour to figure out exactly how it worked and how to unlock the safety :)

Cut my pieces out and commenced with glueing and nailing :D

My only two photos:

1378341341483.jpg

1378341746059.jpg

As you can see I've yet to add a back piece. Since I have HOB filters, wasn't sure if this canopy would be tall enough to house them f I put the top on the canopy going all the way back. So I'll take this up to the school tomorrow to do some measuring of how tall the filters are and how I can get this to work the way I would like. Will add hinges and a way to attach my lights underneath the lid.

Gonna go ahead and primer this piece tomorrow then paint it till I find a suitable piece of wood for my lid and back part. I might just have to take numerous saws to the wood I have to get it to be just right for what I need.

I'm VERY proud of what I have done. All the cuts are straight. Everything lines up, and it looks decent already.

might be the most solid hood ever built.

Haha thanks! I would hope so. I got a little bored and already sprayed that part down with some black sandable primer. Used the rest of the only can I have lol so I guess the other parts will be a different color :P

• 3 weeks later...

Archived