Chipp's ADA 60-P

chippwalters

Big thanks to Timfish for all the help. He's been generous giving me advice and a frag or two or few million wink.png

One more thing. I used to have (see above) a crushed coral bed. It kept away any cyano but sure looked crappy. So, I switched to a medium grained white sand substrate, and sure enough, just as with my other two tanks, the cyano appeared after a few months. I tried some of the antibiotic additive, and it worked the first time, but not the second. FYI, the phosphates were low so I'm not sure where it came from.

I talked with Shane over at Fishy Business and he swears by this stuff he sells there called "Start Smart", a bottle of aquarium starter and maintenance bacteria in solution. I had used it before and didn't think much one way or another about it. He said to use twice the normal dose regularly until it went away, then a maintenance dose once a week after. Dang if it didn't work great! That was a number of months ago and things are still crystal clear as far as my cyano goes. Now to try and get rid of the small sprigs of hair algae....

File%20Oct%2014%2C%208%2051%2045%20PM.jp

Edited by chippwalters

Your tank looks so big in the video, it's deceptive. Everything is looking great. Very interesting about the Start Smart. I've been having some problems with my sand over the years too but don't like crushed coral. I'm glad everything is going well, thanks for the update!

• 9 months later...

7-2016 Update

Tank looking decent these days. Gave the clam to Timfish as he was getting too large. Picked up another Ocellaris. Had a bad outbreak of both brittle and asterina stars (as in multiple hundreds) and bought a harlequin shrimp to help out. Ate all the asterinas in a week. Sheesh! I think he paired down the brittle stars a bit, but they're harder to get at inside the tukani rock.

Ended up buying a choc chip starfish to feed the little guy while I look for another home. Took him all of 10 minutes to flip him over and begin.

Saw him fighting off a larger bristle worm today! Funny, now I have 4 different shrimps in this little tank. The pistol (which rarely comes out), the cleaner shrimp, the peppermint shrimp (which hides in the dendro feeding tank upper right), and now the harlequin. They all seem to get along okay. The cleaner runs the peppermint around-- the harlequin 'owns' the cleaner and the pistol pretty much stays to himself.

Timfish, a good friend, brought me an all but dead Japanese Dendro, and I setup a feeding tank for it and another I had, and they seem to be doing really well. He also brought me some really nice Duncans.

Here are the images:

FTS

%20fulltank7-2016.jpg

The Peppermint Shrimp and Dendros

2016-07-24-17.42.20.jpg

The Harlequin shrimp and bristle worm standoff

2016-07-24-17.45.12.jpg

• Like 2