@#!#&)* Frogspawn

Timfish

I handle Frogspawn all the time and don't get stings on my hands but i got this from brushing up against one on the inside of my forearm Thursday. I would say it's roughly similar to getting a bunch of fire ant stings, burned at first and now it itchs.

post-1247-0-28316900-1376785808_thumb.jp

I had same issue, I think it has to do with the toughness of your skin. The bottom of hands skin is thicker and no issue but say the inside of your arms, thy,etc are more acceptable to stings. I got hit by a mesquito in the center of my forhead and it swole up like someone hit me with a 2x4.

Handle frogspawn and BTAs all the time without any feeling anything or having any reaction on my hands where the skin is a lot thicker like you pointed out. I was surprised then when I had such a strong and obvious reaction within moments of brushing against the frogspawn. I curious if different strains may have different degrees of toxicity like palys have different amounts of palytoxin but I'm not anxious to use myself as a guinea pig. grin.png

I've been lucky and never had any reaction from my BTA's, frogspawn, or torches.

In reality Tim.... you're the best guinea pig as you have access to far more tanks to stick your hands in than any of us do.

YOU MUST DO IT, FOR SCIENCE!

Ah, no I don't. Can't say how much I appreciate the encouragement to pursue scientific enlightenment though. laugh.png

• Like 1

I ALMOST ALWAYS GET SOME TYPE OF REACTION EVERYTIME I STICK MY BARE HANDS IN MY TANK EVEN IF I DONT TOUCH ANY CORAL AT ALL, NOW IF I TOUCH CERTAIN PALYS MY WHOLE ARM GETS TINGLY AND ICHES, GUESS IT JUST DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL THOUGH

I ALMOST ALWAYS GET SOME TYPE OF REACTION EVERYTIME I STICK MY BARE HANDS IN MY TANK EVEN IF I DONT TOUCH ANY CORAL AT ALL, NOW IF I TOUCH CERTAIN PALYS MY WHOLE ARM GETS TINGLY AND ICHES, GUESS IT JUST DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL THOUGH

Do you have any goniopora or alveopora? The article a few years back in Coral magazine said the employees at ORA couldn't put their hands in a tank with goniopora after working with them for a few weeks. They would get instant reactions just from touching the water.

OK so we're dealing with at least two factors"

Skin 'toughness" The skin on the pads of your fingers and palms is MUCH thicker then that of your arms (especially the inside bits) or other surfaces.

Overall sensitivity: Strangely over time you may develop either immunity or sensitivity to different stimuli. As an example I'll offer my own experiences with poison ivy. For as long as I've known (documented as far back as 4 year old) till last year I was demonstratively immune to poison ivy and oak (I pulled, folded and trashed vines on the front of my house as recently as September of last year) a year later pulling and disposing poison ivy in the exact same location has indisposed me for two weeks so far. (rash, blisters ect) I've had similar experiences with anemone (hell fire) where initial exposure was innocuous but months later the same exposure produced a rash.

Do you have any goniopora or alveopora? The article a few years back in Coral magazine said the employees at ORA couldn't put their hands in a tank with goniopora after working with them for a few weeks. They would get instant reactions just from touching the water.

NONE OF EITHER, WISH I COULD KEEP GONIOPORA ALIVE FOR MORE THEN A YEAR BUT NEVER HAPPENS

OK so we're dealing with at least two factors

Skin 'toughness" The skin on the pads of your fingers and palms is MUCH thicker then that of your arms (especially the inside bits) or other surfaces.

Overall sensitivity: Strangely over time you may develop either immunity or sensitivity to different stimuli. . .

I'm still not conducting any scientific experiments! laugh.png

OK so we're dealing with at least two factors

Overall sensitivity: Strangely over time you may develop either immunity or sensitivity to different stimuli. . .

I'm still not conducting any scientific experiments! :lol:

Pansy

(this is a joke built upon a joke. It doesn't violate any forum rules, right?)

• Like 1