any one got a Sea Hare that I can have or split the cost with?

bananags

I think i've seen these for about $10 at the fish store.

I am getting some hair algea in the new tank (developing)

So far, i changed the RO filter to bring the ppm from 8 -> 0.

I am also running Phosban also to control phosphate

I know that Nitrate and Phosphate are what the algae eat, so far, I am 0 on these, but the spots that the algae already grown does not get any smaller. I tried to manually remove them, but it's too hard

I am told that the sea hare will do the trick, but they it will start itself and need to pass on for someone else to use

if someone have one now, can I borrow it? =)

Thanks

Anh

thanks, my turbo does not do anything to it, i'll stop by RCA tomorrow

Yeah ... I had one that ignored hair algae for ages, then one day he decided to go to town on the stuff! A tiger turbo I got the RCA is still trying to decide ;) He finally made it on to the rocks checking for something better to eat.

I tried several sea hares before, but to control Bryopsis, not regular hair algae. Either way, they didn't touch it. But they're supposed to be good at removing most algaes.

Now that your nutrient levels are lowered, manual removal would probably be best. I know, it's not fun, but whatever you remove should stay away for good. If it's the really fine hair algae then you can attach an airline siphon to the head of a toothbrush and scrub/siphon it off.

Good Luck! ;)

wow, toothbrush :D good idea, i did not think of that, i'll give that a try (maybe my wife sonicare would do, just kidding)

anyway, i broke down and got a Sea Hare at RCA

So far so good, 3 days already, still have a few small patch left here and there, I think my sea hare maybe blind :wave:

the Hare cleans the glass, the sand, the rock for normal "good algea", but there only 1 big clump of hair algae left, that he/she keeps passing by and not see it or saving it, drive me crazy looking at him or her gliding by and total missed the only patch left.

the sea hare does eat ALL the algae any kind=)

I did not know how ugly is this thing, but he does look like a bunny (==hare) with the 2 ear sticking up as it moves around

The more I look at it the more I like it :lol:

the Euro reef 180 finally passed break-in period and run correctly, took me about 3 weeks for it

Hopefully, with phosban reactor and heavy skimming and new RO filter, so far, i stopped the grow of the algae, but it does not go away.

now just wait the rabbit do finish the hairy grass. i will eliminate this algae for good. keeping my finger cross :(

Edited by bananags

If he gets your tank algae free and you are worried about starvation, I would be happy to house him for a while and allow you to recoup your purchase cost. Then I will pass him on to the next person in need. A tank move and re-set in January has caused a large algae bloom in my tank. Took two years to get it perfect and now it looks worse than it ever did.

If he gets your tank algae free and you are worried about starvation, I would be happy to house him for a while and allow you to recoup your purchase cost. Then I will pass him on to the next person in need. A tank move and re-set in January has caused a large algae bloom in my tank. Took two years to get it perfect and now it looks worse than it ever did.

Enigma- if your looking for a sea hare, i recently bought 2 for a major hair algae outbreak, by monday I will be looking to get at least one out of my tank. I'll pm you my number..

Update

My sea hare died. I have a large mexican hermit crab (a bit bigger than a golf ball size)

it has been picking on the sea hare once in a while, but everything seems ok, i got the sea hea maybe 2 weeks now

I have been watching the sea hare really closely everyday. yesterday i saw the hermit crab was picking stuff off the sea hare like normally, I went inside for a few min and come back out, i see the sea hare is releasing a big cloud of dark ink

knowing what it can do for my tank, i dived ;) in and took the sea hare out

my skimmer is outputting a lot of pinkish bubbles, i think it got most of the ink out. fish seems ok as of this morning before i went to work.

I got 45 gal of new salt water ready to use, i'll try to replace 1/4 of the tank water tonight.

HA still there, the sea hare did not fix my tiny patches of HA in 3 weeks, my sea hare must be retarded. ha ha

I built a new sump also (testing for leak in garage now), maybe I can try a new sump also, this would be much better than my existing sump where i have to use the filter sock all the time. also, the placement of the skimmer also is bad in the current sump design, I think i did not skim enough stuff off the water due to this design --> causing HA.

Edited by bananags