life questions

chatfouz

Probably so. At your age you have tons of energy and few responsibilities. You have big dreams, but not enough experience to know how to reasonably go about them, and they change from day to day. It's not until you've lived half of your life that you realize what a minute part of the universe you are. Your true passions surface, and the things you'd like to change about yourself or the world. But by then you've got at least one job that requires a good 50 hours or so or your week, a family, financial responsibilities, and only a fraction of the energy you once had.

I would have to say in most cases, yes. However, some young people figure things out earlier than others and do something productive with all the energy and zeal. I had really good guidance as a kid and teenager and once I turned 18 I did full-time volunteer work for 5 years. I could have been goofing off and having fun like most people my age, but I got so much more out of it. I learned to help other people, how to really work hard, and how to live on a VERY meager budget. I got out of it a great sense of accomplishment and I look back on it as some of the best times of my life.

It is only wasted if you spend your time thinking about it and not doing anything. Even though I am not in my "youth" any more, I constantly find myself as the youngest one in the room. It motivates me because I know I am 10-15 years younger then the guy next to me and can do his job and before he knows it I will be his boss. I also feel "responsible" doesn't have to mean boring. I strive never to look back and talk about a time as "the best days of my life". I want every following day to be a little better then the last.

Answer: Don't worry about it! Go out, do cool things, see cool things, meet cool people, and learn EVERY THING you can.

I'm the opposite. I'm usually the oldest one in the room. I love it! Young people inspire and challenge me (just talk to the 20 and 30 years old I mountain bike with).

Is youth wasted on the young? Good question, I'm 52 years young. Ask me that question when I'm old.

Don't get me wrong I act 52 when need, but most of the time I forget how old I am (just ask my wife). Life is to short!

I spent my youth working too hard. I learned a lot of valuable lessons, but am just starting to step back and enjoy myself. Working 60+ hours a week through High School and College was too much. My biggest mistake was not being old (wise) enough to understand the value of money. Now It just seems the more I make the more I spend. I believe there are too many factors in life to generalize youth (Family, Peers, Social Status, Financial Status, Geographic location, etc.).

First one would have to define "youth" before you can judge if it's wasted or not.

I moved here from NY at 34. In NY, in most of my circles, I was the youngest (married at 20, first child at 23).

Moved to TX in '94. Now I'm one of the oldest in my "circles".

I haven't changed but have gone from the "youth" in one circle to the "elder" in another.

My wife was at risk of Huntingtons Disease since she was 17 (a 50-50 chance she would carry the gene).

I have always worked jobs that afforded me extra time to spend with my wife and kids (since I wasn't sure how many "good" years we'd have together). Five years ago she took a test to confirm whether or not she carried the gene. She doesn't.

Five years ago my wife got her "youth" back, at 44.

We have two sons (23 & 20).

I was able to coach my kids in varoius sports over the years. Go to their school plays. Spend TIME with them. Be part of their daily lives.

Today, my wife is full of life and my kids (who have both moved out over the last 2 years) invite me to play poker with them and their friends. We watch sports together, PLAY football (legs are gone but the arm is still there. lol)

I'm 47 now.

I have much less of a financial "cushion" than most my age and probably earn less in salary.

That shortfall I'll have to make up for over the next 20 or so years.

My "youth" has lasted into my forties and I don't see it leaving anytime soon.

Being a daily part of my families lives over the last 25 years...priceless (and "youth" inducing). ;)

Stay healthy. Focus on the big picture. People...not cash.

People keep you young. Chasing cash makes you old.

That's my 2-cents worth. Spend it any way you like.

I'm 24 and should feel young, but I grew up with problems such as a wealthy and depressed family. I've never had to work and probably couldn't if I wanted to. I lay around most of the time trying to think of reasons to keep going. I wish I could say differently. Enjoy life if you can. It doesn't matter how old you are.