Replacing a pane of glass and resealing entire tank

FarmerTy

Never tried to reseal a tank but for those that have firsthand, easy process?

I am inheriting a tank but would like to replace the front pane of glass and reseal the whole thing while I am at it since it has been sitting outside for the last year. Or do I really just need to reseal the outer sealant and not the stuff sandwiched in between the glass? Any firsthand tips appreciated!

-Ty

I had to reseal my 30 gallon rock tank, its not too hard, but you need to go ahead and do all of the panes and joints. Also, its great practice for those times when you want to build your own tank. ;) Jeremy's (offroaddodge) made his from scratch, and said it wasnt that bad. Just take your time :)

no biggie to do it, IMO if its a tank that you are planning on keeping then YES I would disassemble the whole tank, clean all silicone off and re build. Silicone doesn't stick to itself once its cured. Don't short cut it if your gonna keep it. Get a piece of say welding wire and cut it. If your patient u can use a razor blade but buy plenty. When it goes to reassembling the tank put the back glass in place 1st then the sides and front. Only run the beads of silicone for each glass you are going to install. Bead on bottom of back glass, then up one side and across the bottom side, then the other side same way, then the front glass. Wipe your seams as soon as you set the glass. DONT wait till its all done then try and wipe it, it will have already started to set up and will ruin the seam. tape the glass together and make the seams as TIGHT as possible. That's a crash course in doing it.

2 razor blades and 2 sets of pliers will be your best tool for break down. Shove one into the seam and then the next use the pliers to pull the first and place it past the second to walk it down the seam. The pliers will save your hands a lot

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Thanks guys for the advice. Was there a particular type of silicone that was used that is better than others?

I was thinking of using black silicone and also building it with a eurobrace. I am still mentally scarred from having a middle brace all these years.

Jeremy knows the silicone type and I think he even has some you can buy (could be wrong) but I know he had to order a case because that's all you could get it in size wise.

Also to make sure you dont smash the panels together to much you can cut a little piece of sheet metal thats the correct thickness your shooting for place just a few to hold the hole panel up that high if that makes sense, I've never done that but I saw hydro do it on one tank since the glass was so big and heavy it would push all the silicone out.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Momentive 103 or 108...same stuff, just clear or black and the strongest for the price.

Can be sourced at Grainger, Amazon or Ebay but watch the lot code for date.

I have sealed 3 tanks now, rebuilt one 2 times (panel chipped). Not so bad, but can be tedious on big tanks.

Ive cut apart with 20# mono in really close edges and use about 5 blades per panel.

Clean the panel first round with a new razor blade, then use steel wool and acetone to remove the residue from the glass.

Stage your panels before rebuilding and thoroughly clean until only a clean reflection shows and you cant feel any rubber on the edge.

If time gets by you before you can 'smear' the seam....DONT TOUCH IT! Let it cure, cut it cleanly and re-apply the inner seam.

Just don't let the glass touch and try to keep a 1/16" seam thickness between the panels to maximize tear strength.

When gluing back start with a single edge and 'roll' the piece on like applying a large sticker, else you will get bubbles.

If you do get bubbles, you can try to squeeze them out, to a degree, but can end up pushing all the silicone out weakening the seam.

DO NOT PULL APART and then push back together without smoothing or after it has started to skin over, it will make more bubbles.

If you have to start over, clean immediately with acetone to remove wet silicone....It will be messy but you wont have to scrape clean the piece 24 hrs later.

Thanks Jaggedfire! I am trying to get all the advice I can get before I have to undertake this resealing process. What did you use for spacers? That part still baffles me. Do I leave the spacer in there with the silicone?

-Ty

I have primarily done it sans spacers but is a bit trickier.

I have experimented with cured silicon slices ( let the dangling string cure after running a line of silicon, then slice with a sharp blade) and rubber bands on the last 1/8" of the edge of corners. Both worked. The silicone slices were left in, rubber bands were removed and filled in at the corner though just for my OCDness, it isnt visible after trim is applied.

Also, both need to be cleaned with acetone before use else they contaminate the surface.

While not likely to give issue, I dont take chances.

That is a big pane of/(in the) glass! Offroad is right, with it that big you will be applying some force to seat it together. And definitely use tape to secure while curing.

Do you have a spare set of hands to assist..or atleast some suction cups?

Yeah, I am worried about the weight of that glass. I will luckily have both, 4 suction cups and a buddy to help. Still waiting on if I actually get the tank or not. My dad was never one to keep promises so fingers crossed that he actually gives me his old tank.

Archived