Ok what the hell was that?

KevinB

Sorry, no photo taken...i was too grossed out.

I went out of town for 3 days, and when I got back there was a decaying mass of something in my sump. It was very hard to recognize and smelled of hydrogen sulfide. It was a little larger than a golf ball. It was definitely not a fish.

It had a kind of whitish exterior and a dark interior, almost like sushi. It was very gelatinous, and sunk in the water. I'm very curious as to what it could have been, and if it sank, how on earth did it get up to my overflow?!

Unless it was something living in my overflow that died and got flushed down the pipe, but I don't have an overflow box, it's just PVC piping.

If it was in one of my two overflow pipes, it would have been blocking the flow completely.

I've had anemones before and they all died...but I suppose one could have split and gone up to my overflow while I was out of town, but it would have had to climb almost put of the water to get over the top of the pipe.

When anemones die do the have that sulphur smell?

My other thought is that something got trapped in an overflow pipe and started accumulating detritus and uneaten food etc. it just turned into this mass of crap that eventually came out in the sump. Anyone seen something like that happen before? I'm all for cleaning my overflow pipes, but don't know what I can use to make it through the two 90° turns

I haven't tried to keep an anemone in months. I've had 3, and I'm pretty sure all 3 died, but I guess it's possible the last one went into hiding and I forgot about it over time.

The last one I had was a lta.

I'm not missing any soft corals or shrimp, and I only recently added Xenia

As far as aptasia goes, I've had 3 polyps pop up in the past 2 years

I haven't tried to keep an anemone in months. I've had 3, and I'm pretty sure all 3 died, but I guess it's possible the last one went into hiding and I forgot about it over time. The last one I had was a lta. I'm not missing any soft corals or shrimp, and I only recently added Xenia As far as aptasia goes, I've had 3 polyps pop up in the past 2 years

Could have been an aptasia, I've seen them thrive in overflows then die and end up as a snot ball.

Archived