DIY stand

chatfouz

i plan to make my own stand for the next tank i am goign to drag down to my dorm room.

cinderblocks and wood.

what i am not sure is do i need to use 4x4 or 2x4. cinderblocks as legs, then wood across the top for tank to sit on. i know i have to keep it real level. its a 30 gal long. 36". so its not a huge amount of water or length. but i do NOT want 2x4 to snap and crash. am i being over paranoid by thinking i have to use 4x4?

The answer is 2x4 will most likely hold, but has any DIY stand needs to be triple over built then go with 4x4. That is a small joke, but 4x4s aren't much more expensive. In all honesty 3/4" plywood would probably do the job. You could build a 4x4 frame and put 3/4" on top and park your car on it instead of a fish tank. Heck on RC they use cinder block and steel I-beams to hold put 100s of gallons. 4x4s will certainly work for a 36. Not to mention you will most likely move with in the next year and if there is a problem you can fix it then.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to get a MIG welder and some 2x2 square steel tubing. Then get a piece of 1/2" steel plate. Then you can say it is over built. :-)

I just built one for the 120G 4x2x2 tank we are going to setup in the new house. I only used 2x4 and 1/2" plywood. The side where skinned with 1/4" Oak, and I think it would hold my 3/4 ton diesel truck up. Sorry I do not have pictures and it is already moved to storage.

Cinderblocks make for a great base for stands. Here is a few pictures of a past stand I built for a 90 gallon 48x18 footprint tank. It was made with plywood, shoe moulding, cinderblocks, 1x4 for the trim and wainsoating as a skin over the cinderblocks. The shoe moulding was nailed to the plywood to give the wainscoating something to attach too. The 1x4 was nailed to the outside edge of the plywood for trim. I painted everything black first as it made it easier to work with. Touch-up painting was all that was needed.

IMG_8625%20copy.jpg

IMG_8630%20copy.jpg

IMG_8638%20copy.jpg

IMG_8666%20copy.jpg

Edited by princer7