hermits all over leather coral

Planeden

i recently added some small hermits and snails to my CUC and they are constantly on my leather coral. i know that the hermits get up there, but sometimes it could be snails too. there doesn't seem to be any damage, but the coral is not happy about it. sadly, no, i don't know what kind of hermits. i could try to id them, but they are about 1/4" (shells).

so, any ideas of what they are doing? are they trying to eat my coral, or could they just be eating the wax defenses that he oozes out when irritated. like a never ending chain of wax treats, since he's always mad about it. should i be concerned with it?

i have moved the leather to a spot where i haven't seen the crabs go. i'm also thinking this area has a little more flow to clean off his slime. but, i can't tell since he has sucked all his hair in and i can't see it flow around.

sounds liek the leather is either sloughing off tissue/detritus or its starting to grow some algae. Another possibility is stray food falling onto it, the hermits would readily take it.

Archived