Building my own sump, looking for suggestions

Juiceman

I am having flow issues in my tank due to corals growing very well and having ALOT of live rock.

I'm working on planning a new sump that will still house my skimmer and bio pellets, and the extra live rock that I pull out my tank will become a refugium area.

Here's what I have so far:

post-1783-137349161462_thumb.jpg

The left side has 3 overflow lines coming into the skimmer and bio pellets.

The right side will have 1 overflow coming into the live rock area so it will have less turnover than the mechanical side.

Thoughts?

No Thoughts or suggestions.

I wish I had a better way to draw it out on a program, I'm wondering If

I will need a powerhead or anything around the LIve Rock or if Detrius will even become an issue.?

Which CUC I should add to a Refugium type area with no sand or Macro?

I thought about that. I don't really care for filter socks.

I'm not going to put any sand in that area. Are there some good snails that I should have in that area to help detritus never be an issue?

Looking a lot like FB sumps. Why not walk his store and see how his are? You'll see what works down there and what doesn't. Also might try vacing out the detrius on water changes or every months which ever comes first.

Since you will be going with a no sand sump then I would move your bubble trap over to the right and just add a nozzle to your return lines to provide the BB floor the flow you want. It looks like your trying to do a double bubble trap. I really like this idea as well http://www.iturnrocks.com/images/hometank/filter/diy/filterfront10.JPG

My disclaimer is I don't think putting all those xenias in your sump and getting new LR is a good idea since the xenia will eventually throw babies and you'll be back to square one again.

Also shouldn't you be working instead of drawing up ideas? I see the menu there.

I prefer glass because it's cheap and easy to work with.

Also, since you're in the planning stage, you may think about adding an ATO reservoir in one end of the sump. Even 6 inches in a 18" wide 18" tall tank is almost 10 gallons of storage.

As far as detritus goes, without a filter sock of filter floss I think you will end up with it accumulating. Since it's bare bottom it probably wont be difficult to vacuum it out, but I doubt any CUC is going to prevent it.

I prefer glass because it's cheap and easy to work with.

Also, since you're in the planning stage, you may think about adding an ATO reservoir in one end of the sump. Even 6 inches in a 18" wide 18" tall tank is almost 10 gallons of storage.

As far as detritus goes, without a filter sock of filter floss I think you will end up with it accumulating. Since it's bare bottom it probably wont be difficult to vacuum it out, but I doubt any CUC is going to prevent it.

I have thought of the ATO space also. I have a box already built that holds about 13 gallons. I'm going to move it to the back right behind the tank to allow for maximum sump size.

In the mist of this re-aqua scape, I'm also going to move the tank forward from the wall to allow maintenance to be easier from now on.

So here's the other question. External pump or Internal Pump.

I currently have a Mag18. I'm not getting much of anything out of the returns other than bringing water to the tank.

I have 4 3/4" Loclines splitting into a total of 8 1/2" Locline which then go to spray/spread nozzles.

Would I do better with just using 4 3/4" Loclines going into the tank rather than splitting?

Since you will be going with a no sand sump then I would move your bubble trap over to the right and just add a nozzle to your return lines to provide the BB floor the flow you want. It looks like your trying to do a double bubble trap. I really like this idea as well http://www.iturnrocks.com/images/hometank/filter/diy/filterfront10.JPG

My disclaimer is I don't think putting all those xenias in your sump and getting new LR is a good idea since the xenia will eventually throw babies and you'll be back to square one again.

Also shouldn't you be working instead of drawing up ideas? I see the menu there.

LOL, my girlfriend didn't even notice the Chili's menu until you pointed it out!! LOL

I like honeyreefs sump, maybe u can PM him for some picks. I have always had Precision Marine Sumps and they work great. Pump wise I went with a reeflo hammerhead 2yrs ago and will never use an internal pump again cause of the heat issues here in Texas.JMO

I like honeyreefs sump, maybe u can PM him for some picks. I have always had Precision Marine Sumps and they work great. Pump wise I went with a reeflo hammerhead 2yrs ago and will never use an internal pump again cause of the heat issues here in Texas.JMO

I currently have 1 mag 18 doing return and 1 mag 12 running my chiller and GFO. Think their Dart would take care of that, or I would need the Hammerhead? noticably less noise also compared to the Mags?

Archived