DI Media Seems to Go Fast

Derek

I recently got some of the color changing DI media from BRS. I've made probably 150 gallons of water with it and it seems to be spent already. This was about a month worth of use. Prior to this my DI media would last about six to eight months. I am not really making anymore water than usual.

I changed my 3 stage filters as well as RO membrane (150 GPH) at the beginning of June, the same time I changed the DI media, so I do not think that it is a problem with the filters.

What could cause such a which consumption of the media? I think I went from a 75 GPH membrane to a 150 GPH membrane. I had under purchased the last time I bought a membrane so I just replaced the 75 GPH one with the proper size.

^That^

What is your TDS going into the system, and also coming out of the membrane?

Rapid loss of DI resin points to a high TDS on the output side of the membrane. The most common cause is the membrane not being seated all the way in the housing. The second most common cause is the input/output lines being in incorrect positions (but if you didn't mess with them, this can be ruled out).

Did you by chance lose the flow restrictor when you changed the membrane?

I use the color changing di resin from BRS on my 150 gpd system. I can normally make about 1000-1200 gallons of water before I have to change it.

Tell us more about your system. How many stages? And what filters are you using? City water, or well water?

I was just thinking the same thing...replaced everything on mine less than two months ago and the resin is about 80% used up. I'm seeing about 210 going in and 0 coming out. I was just about to post to see if anyone was going to be doing a BRS buy soon. mine is a 75g setup.

If possible, you should check the TDS coming out of the membrane. It should usually be less than 10 and the resin takes care of that last bit. If it's any higher than that, it's likely that something isn't seated properly.

Since all filters were changed at the same time. Did you happen to flush out through the di and burn it up by it removing storage preserves? Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Not sure what "removing storage preserves" means.

I'll check it out. It was something like 34 going into the DI unit and 0 out. I'll check the RO membrane and make sure it's popped in all the way. I haven't taken any flow restrictors out.

34 out of the membrane is high. Do you know what your tds is going in to the system?

Example:

I have 379 TDS going into my system, 5 TDS coming out of my membrane, 0 out of di resin

Yeah, I thought it was high. I'm trying to take my In probe off the DI unit to put it on the main line in to get a read on that. I checked the membrane and it is plugged insecurely.

Derek, does your resin look like this? I just realized maybe I was looking at it incorrectly. so mine is very light at the bottom. The middle 80% is a dark tan color and the top 20% is still blue. As it gets used up does it go from blue to tan to almost white and at that point it's used up? I checked the water coming out of the membrane and it was 4 TDS.

post-2872-0-72818200-1373579339_thumb.jp

Mine was all brown after a month.

Derek, does your resin look like this? I just realized maybe I was looking at it incorrectly. so mine is very light at the bottom. The middle 80% is a dark tan color and the top 20% is still blue. As it gets used up does it go from blue to tan to almost white and at that point it's used up? I checked the water coming out of the membrane and it was 4 TDS.

I guess nothing is wrong really. I checked my in water and it is at 145ppm and then after the membrane it is 34ppm, then after the DI it is 0ppm.

Wow. At 175 going into your system, I wouldn't expect more than 3 coming out of your membrane. 34 is way high. Something is very, very...........not right at all.

I have 379 going into my system, and 5 out of the membrane.

Sumpthin ain't right here.

I'm assuming you have a 98% rejection rate on your membrane. Correct? If that is the case, you should see no MORE than 4 tds coming out of the membrane.

how long did you let the water run when testing out of the membrane? when I first turned mine on it was reading in the 70's so i let it run a few minutes and it gradually came down until it finally settled at 4TDS

I let it run for a few minutes. I had been using it for about two months now.

I took my filters and everything out and reassembled them. I get the same TDS readings. I am starting to wonder if my TDS meter might just be going bad or if having the unit in the heat of the garage is messing with it.

Anyone an expert on the mechanics of these things? I would appreciate a second pair of eyes look of it to make sure that I put it together correctly.