Dwarf African Frogs

One of the things I miss with SW is the diversity of critters. I miss having surprise hitchhikers, which is a surprise. I saw these Dwarf African Frogs (Hymenochirus curtipes), which seem to be happy in a full FW tank, eat the same stuff as and don't mess with fish. I need to fix my hanging light mount so I can put my DT screen back on before getting any. I'm a little concerned about the overflows, but I'd love to have more cool critters for visitors to "discover" as they look in the tank.

Does anyone have experience with these?

I was thinking 3-4 of them. I don't mind them hiding and being "Easter eggs" for people looking in my tank. I think staring in the SW tank and finding things brought great joy to visitors and to me. It's only a problem when I worry about them still being alive :)

Is your tank full up, and if so, do you have a problem with them getting out or into overflows/pumps/etc.?

I wonder if they'll eat mysis or cyclop-eeze (I'm still feeding that stuff as SW leftovers).

I was thinking 3-4 of them. I don't mind them hiding and being "Easter eggs" for people looking in my tank. I think staring in the SW tank and finding things brought great joy to visitors and to me. It's only a problem when I worry about them still being alive smile.png

Is your tank full up, and if so, do you have a problem with them getting out or into overflows/pumps/etc.?

I wonder if they'll eat mysis or cyclop-eeze (I'm still feeding that stuff as SW leftovers).

No problems with pumps so far, although I just have a HOB. My tank runs full. They spend most of the time on the bottom and every once and a while shoot up to the top, I'm presuming for a breath.

They might eat those foods, although i think something about the motion of worms triggers their feeding response.

• Like 1

I never had a problem feeding mine. I don't remeber whether they ate the flakes or shrimp pellets. Mine sometimes floated on top, too. I did have a problem with one getting along (ie getting away from) my pictus cat. But that may have been why they floated on top. Never showed any indication they wanted out of the tank, but I did have a lid.

• Like 1