Reef Lighting Help

chark

New to reef. Upgrading from 40 gal to 75 gal. I currently us 4 t5's. If I use metal halide will I need to have a chiller to keep the temp down? Does it matter if I use 2 150 watt or 2 250 watt mh. Would new t5's be enough for the 75 gal?

You should use two 150w halides or T5s. There is a possibility that if you use halides you might need a chiller, but it really depends what kind you get and how they are mounted. I use T5s on my 105g and haven't had any problems.

If I use T5s how many would you suggest? I was thinking about icecap 660 ballast with 4 bulbs. I also have a T8 ballast I thought I would use for the actinic.

You should use two 150w halides or T5s. There is a possibility that if you use halides you might need a chiller, but it really depends what kind you get and how they are mounted. I use T5s on my 105g and haven't had any problems.

IMPE 4 x of the 54W T5s with an ICECAP 660 ballast will be plenty of light for a 75, even for SPS. I would pick lower K (and higher PAR) bulbs however. A mix of 6.5K daylight and 12K aquablue is what I run. If you're feeling ambitious then you could add in a pair of 4' actinic VHO bulbs for color and extra PAR but this will certainly crown your canopy. Don't forget to add some fans though! The OD T5s absolutely need fans to run at peak efficiency.