JamesL's 24g Symbiosis Tank

JamesL

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i heard of people doing this over the weekend. it sounds funny, but i heard it worked. i may try it with my fake coral thing i bought for mine because it is pretty ugly. if they are not going to sleep in it i'm taking it out.

A few quick phone pictures:

post-249-0-63595700-1374342365_thumb.jpg

post-249-0-02905700-1374342368_thumb.jpg

post-249-0-44045600-1374342211_thumb.jpg

Took down the picture of the clowns in the anemone ... partly because one of the clowns this morning looked like he was about to try hosting in the real anemone, and partly because the other clown kept hanging around by the picture :-p

Symbiosis in action... the porcelain crab found the anemone today and decided to hang out there. Was hoping the cowns would have hosted first, but all in due time.

attachicon.gifIMG_7414.JPG

My clowns sat in a tank with two nems for a couple months. Then I added 9 more nems in one day and they started hosting within 2 days. I had a crab that was in the nems within the hour of the tank having the original 2.

The crab now tried to push the clowns out of his nem, its rather funny to see but now all three will host in the same nem or they will all spread out depending on their mood.

Things doing well. The only thing to report is that one of the clown gobies has disappeared. If it died, probably got cleaned up pretty quickly.

Algae on the glass is reducing a lot.

Still loving the anemone shrimp, even though he just hangs around the tank.

Your tank is looking really great! I like the livestock you've added so far.

Thanks Kim. I am remembering now the niceness of small tanks... being able to see the small critters much easier. The anemone shrimp is really cool to watch just walking around the rock work.

ah, the rare arguement FOR a small tank. hope your little goby shows up.

just thought of it, when i was at RCA they said the little clown goby was not a prawn goby. is he symbiotic?

The clown gobies were added to the tank because my wife likes them (my damsels are too mean to have them in the big tank). So technically they break my symbiosis theme a bit. Though they do like hanging around in corals. In my previous 24g tank, I had one that would swim inside a long tentacle plate.

well, you better get a picture of a clown goby in a coral and train him. otherwise you have to change the name of the tank to the semi-symbiotic tank. unless you want to try to make the argument that he drops detritus into the sand for the worms that use it for food and clean the water for the fish. but, if that's the case then your symbiotic tank wouldn't be that original since most of us have that. smile.png

well, you better get a picture of a clown goby in a coral and train him. otherwise you have to change the name of the tank to the semi-symbiotic tank. unless you want to try to make the argument that he drops detritus into the sand for the worms that use it for food and clean the water for the fish. but, if that's the case then your symbiotic tank wouldn't be that original since most of us have that. smile.png

Tough crowd! :)

I will have to tell the clown goby to start getting symbiotic right away.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't updated much on this tank, as well, not much has changed. The porcelain crab continues to dominate the anemone, the clowns just swim around, and the anemone shrimp still is cool.

Of note, my tiger pistol shrimp seems bent on moving all of the sand from the left to right side of the tank :) And catching glimpses of him, I swear he has already tripled in size!

Picture time... I will warn you, they aren't that great. I was holding the camera and was rushing things a bit. Of course the anemone decided it was a good time to close up.

Green zoas are looking good:

post-249-0-38971400-1376535762_thumb.jpg

New zoas I got today from RCA:

post-249-0-82115400-1376535764_thumb.jpg

Birdsnest frag, also new from RCA:

post-249-0-74852800-1376535766_thumb.jpg

My anemone shrimp .. have seen him on the anemone a few times, though the porcelain crab dominates it.

post-249-0-44458800-1376535769_thumb.jpg

My frag I made of the palys I had gotten from Fish Gallery:

post-249-0-96950200-1376535771_thumb.jpg

Yes! Yes! Yes! I came home to this glorious site this evening... my clowns are finally trying to host in the anemone!

(The clomping in the background is not a wild horse running through the house, but our 1.5 year old ... almost the same thing)

Archived