JamesL's 24g Symbiosis Tank

JamesL

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tests came back good .. no ammonia or nitrites. Took my kenya tree and green leather from the big tank and put it in this tank. These were also targets of the coral beauty.

Also went to move some asterna stars over... how come I normally see a ton of them in the big tank, and today could find only 1?

Also, re-thought my lock-line layout, and I think I have it where I won't be causing ripples in the sand.

New pics once the corals are settled in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling I might be on the hunt for a goby/shrimp pair later this week for the tank. The clean up crew has been pretty efficient at cleaning up the diatoms.

Also, now I am starting to be a bit torn on getting a rose BTA or a rainbow BTA ... but man, the price on the rainbows are killer! Roses are just now starting to come down in price.

YAY! no ammonia and nitrites is definitely even more exciting than having some :).

auqadome had a little yellow watchman goby last week that i have my eye on. he's about 2" long. pretty adorable, really.

YAY! no ammonia and nitrites is definitely even more exciting than having some smile.png.

auqadome had a little yellow watchman goby last week that i have my eye on. he's about 2" long. pretty adorable, really.

Hmm.. a yellow watchman was exactly what I was thinking along with a tiger pistol shrimp. Though I would be surprised if it still there later this week.

I have kept the smaller candy striped pistols and hi-fin gobies in the past.. thought the watchman would be a nice alternative.

YAY! no ammonia and nitrites is definitely even more exciting than having some :).

Hmm.. a yellow watchman was exactly what I was thinking along with a tiger pistol shrimp. Though I would be surprised if it still there later this week.

I have kept the smaller candy striped pistols and hi-fin gobies in the past.. thought the watchman would be a nice alternative.

Well, there goes my finder's fee.

And here I thought we were going to have a show down on who gets the fish gun.gif

I of course was going to let me kids do the show down part devil.gif

that's just playing dirty. but i could distract them with kittens.

post-3177-0-52545400-1372175715_thumb.jp

Aquadome trip complete ... and there are swimmy things in the tank. crab.gif

I came home with a porcelain crab, a yellow striped possum wrasse, a small tiger pistol shrimp, and a really big and dark blue spotted watchman. I guess for the watchman since he is so large, he is in his second color phase of "olive drab with blue spots" (Live Aquaria's description).

The pistol shrimp right to work digging in the sand... in the back corner of the tank! Um, hello, big rock with caves? The possum wrasse already has been checking out the holes in the rockwork.

Pictures later when things are happier and not hiding :)

Note to self ... have camera ready *before* feeding the fish. He came out of his cave snapping up the mysis.

post-249-0-55405200-1372371672_thumb.jpg

BTW, I was wrong .. the Dome had told me this was a blue spotted watchman ... not a yellow one.

Got smart this time and I had my phone camera ready when I fed.. and looky who I got a picture of.

post-249-0-72450400-1372474123_thumb.jpg

His tiger pistol buddy has been hard at work making entrances all over the tank to his underground palace.

In other news, I am note sure if my possum wrasse is alive :( It is hard to tell, because there are so many holes and crevasses for hime to hide in. But I was able to find him mid-day yesterday wedged ina hole not moving (mid-day nap?). But today I could not find him anywhere.

Nice tank! I still have your old tank sitting in my garage and this is making me want to get it out and do something similar with it.

Ha .. I figured that tank was still around. Never really thought at the time I sold it that I would have multiple tanks again. But for some reason, anemones just never took to my large tank, well except for my maxi mini carpet, which is doing fantastic.

I think you should set it back up, *nudge* *nudge* :)

I swear, after all these years keeping saltwater critters, molting still catches me off guard. Walked by the tank this morning and saw my porcelain crab upside down on the rock work. Then off to the side I see him clinging to the rock. Looks like the few drops of iodine I put in yesterday triggered the molt.

Goodie day! Finally had a free Saturday to go LFS shopping. So headed out and hit Fish Gallery, RCA, and the Dome ... and of course walked out with something from each smile.png Everything went into this tank, minus one large chuck of zoa's (but a frag of it went in this tank).

From the Gallery, some PPE's:

post-249-0-20640900-1373746354_thumb.jpg

Here is the main colony in my 75g:

post-249-0-18188600-1373746589_thumb.jpg

RCA was the big haul today....

2 yellow clown gobies:

post-249-0-59395600-1373746400_thumb.jpg

A Rose BTA:

post-249-0-69773600-1373746466_thumb.jpg

Two ocy clowns (kinda mis-barred, which makes then neat):

post-249-0-44718200-1373746482_thumb.jpg

And some green zoas:

post-249-0-15977000-1373746497_thumb.jpg

Not pictured from RCA is a small frag of orangish zoas, which weren't open yet.

And the Dome I scored an clear/blue anemone shrimp which went into hiding, so no pictures either.

Nice to have some movement mid-water now (the clowns) ... as the watchman hides a lot.

PPE = purple people eater zoas? Yours are really nice, but don't look like google's.

Looks like you had a great day.

Correct on the name ... though I think it can apply to a wide range of palys (I am not really that big into the whole name game). I think what makes a PPE a PPE is the highlighting around the mouth.

Yes, a little too good :) But everyone in the house likes that there is more movement in the tank now.

The anemone moved slightly last night, still hoping it stays in the general left side of the tank.

PPE = purple people eater zoas? Yours are really nice, but don't look like google's.

Correct on the name ... though I think it can apply to a wide range of palys (I am not really that big into the whole name game). I think what makes a PPE a PPE is the highlighting around the mouth.

Yes, a little too good :) But everyone in the house likes that there is more movement in the tank now.

The anemone moved slightly last night, still hoping it stays in the general left side of the tank.

Again, I thank you, sir. I can feel you on the names, too. There are too many slightly different color morphs for my feeble brain.

The anemone shrimp was out and playing this morning in the tank.

attachicon.gifIMG_1931.JPG

Neat. Now if he an just chase down that roving nem.

Yes, a little too good smile.png But everyone in the house likes that there is more movement in the tank now.

Again, I thank you, sir. I can feel you on the names, too. There are too many slightly different color morphs for my feeble brain.

>The anemone shrimp was out and playing this morning in the tank.

attachicon.gifIMG_1931.JPG

Neat. Now if he an just chase down that roving nem.

Him and the clowns ... they are having a lot of fun playing in the current at the moment.

Archived