Duncan coral closed up?

esacjack

A few days ago I noticed my duncan closed up. Occasionally it closes up for a little while and opens back up. I wasnt sure what it could be, so I ran a barrage of tests. All of them are within spec. But then I noticed something else. My salinity had somehow climbed to 1.030! So I performed a water change and brought it back to 1.024/5 Could this be osmotic shock keeping him from opening?

The only thing I've added in the last two weeks was an emerald crab. I'm not 100% certain he isnt nipping at it, but he appears to be predisposed with eating algae on the other side of the tank. Hardware wise, the only thing I've changed was adding a spin stream to the nozzle of my koralia nano.

I've since moved the duncan to the other side of the tank, shutdown the koralia nano (temporarily), and turned my lights down to the bare min. I'm hoping one of these is the issue here and not something else. Could it be not enough light? Since converting to the LED system, I've had the intensity about as low as it can get.

Are there any good tank indicators of when you have too much light vs. not enough?

Currently the duncan is partially open.

post-2969-0-25295600-1369858270_thumb.jp

I'm betting it's the spinstream having changed the flow pattern in the tank. I pissed my duncans off a while back when I added a powerhead. They closed up and refused to come out until I removed the offending powerhead.

I'm betting it's the spinstream having changed the flow pattern in the tank. I pissed my duncans off a while back when I added a powerhead. They closed up and refused to come out until I removed the offending powerhead.

Thanks Sherita! I've removed the powerhead completely from the mix. I basically hit 'Undo' on all changes made to the tank since the duncan showed its first signs. Oddly enough, the flow it was getting before I moved the powerhead was much more turbid than after the spinstream was added. The only thing I can't undo at this point is removing the crab. (he's fast!)

Duncans and other "wavy type' LPS can just be weird. I don't think it's so much the *amount* of the flow, but rather a change in direction, velocity, or angle. I can hack off my torches just by moving a powerhead a little. And, they will just refuse to come out of their house until I put it right back the way it was. Zoas are also masters at this type of behavior.

Sorta the coral version of LITHA.

haha me too... sometimes i look at the tank, and say hmm.. i bet this zoa would like more light.. only to see it hours later completely closed up or squinting. sigh... theres never enough room in the tank.

on an positive note, the duncan is looking a little better today, its opened up a bit more. But its still not where it was just yet.

Archived