red spot or somthing looks odd on the rock and glass

aeroaustin

This morning, I checked on new coming fishes since friday, I happened saw there something red/orange spot on the rock and the glass. look like they moving something. Describle is the shape of oval and red/orange.

I did try look it up on website, unwanted pest or critter or coralline.. I can't find something to fit my describe.

could be critter?

I will try to post the picture..

sounds like some sort of amphipod or copepod. small crustaceans. some can be redish. if you see one again grab a magnifing glass. it will look like an alien version of a pillbug.

I tried my best to take a picture, my digital seem can't take close shot, its blurried... I took shot that a little distance away.

here is

[/img]

[/img]

Edited by aeroaustin

there is nothing wrong with flat worms. they produce no toxins, poisions and do not hurt harm or mess with any of your livestock. they are little worms with a pharanyx on thier belly and suck up detritus etc. the only way to get rid of them is to find something that will eat them. but there is nothing wron with them. they are just little scavangers that will find waste in the tank. you just have some bio-diversity.

They can actually reproduce into plague proportions and can smother corals allowing them to get no light. Also with that many in a tank, if they were to all die at the same time it could potentially nuke your tank as they release a toxin when they die.

A velvet sea slug is their natural predator, however they can be tricky.

post-3-1197250738.jpg

They can actually reproduce into plague proportions and can smother corals allowing them to get no light. Also with that many in a tank, if they were to all die at the same time it could potentially nuke your tank as they release a toxin when they die.

A velvet sea slug is their natural predator, however they can be tricky.

post-3-1197250738.jpg

has anyone ever had them reproduce that much? and the toxin your talking about an ammonia spike with rotting bodies?

wow, you guys have good eye, ha ha, i don't see anything

flatworm should be moving around also especially if you come close to it, they look flat and almost see through also =)

i use a long turkey blaster and suck them in one by one very time I see it, do this for several week. it has been 6-7months now, i they have not come back.

Edited by bananags

Red Planaria are just an eyesore. And honestly, it would be best if you could erradicate these because when you trade corals with others, you shouldn't help spread this 'plague' to other tanks. This article may help:

http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

Definitely another reason why all coral should be quarantined before it is added into one's show tank. Learned the hard way a while back about the pests and why QT tanks are essential in our hobby.

Red Planaria are just an eyesore. And honestly, it would be best if you could erradicate these because when you trade corals with others, you shouldn't help spread this 'plague' to other tanks. This article may help:

http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

Should I need to erradicate the flatworm by vaccum with micron bags to pail or to sump then droplet of Flatworn eXit to ensure all flatworm nonexit?

Should I need to erradicate the flatworm by vaccum with micron bags to pail or to sump then droplet of Flatworn eXit to ensure all flatworm nonexit?

Please read my little article carefully. Yes, siphon out all you can every single day for about two weeks before you treat the tank. All of this is covered in that write up.

You can just siphon them into a bucket, but I was doing it to the sump so I wouldn't have to keep replacing saltwater with new saltwater.

Please read my little article carefully. Yes, siphon out all you can every single day for about two weeks before you treat the tank. All of this is covered in that write up.

You can just siphon them into a bucket, but I was doing it to the sump so I wouldn't have to keep replacing saltwater with new saltwater.

OK I will read the article later this night and maybe best time to perform next week when my wife and step-son go out to Dallas for christmas week, while I am alone at home to babysit pets and place. Give me time to work on tank and clean the relfectors, etc.....