LED as an all around solution?

I have a 50 gal. Bow front coming in, I'm trying to spec out a lighting solution. I know I do not want to run MH I was planning on going all LED. Can I get enough juice out of an LED solution to grow SPS? I think I want to try and work some acropora in towards the top of the tank.

Also, what are people's thoughts on the pendant style vs the strip style?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk HD

The Kessil LED's destroy most other brands and are true pendant style. They seriously look like a joke until you see them light up a tank. But, there's a bunch of other great setups available pendant or strip. As far as pure strip versions go, I can definitely recommend the reef brite LED's. I use one 24" strip and there's several other locals that use them. Unbelievably bright output for the size. The ecotech's, ai sol's, rapid LED, build my LED, and several others, all make very good fixtures. From what I've seen there is no problem with SPS when using good quality LED's. Depending on the fixture, you're more likely to have have bleaching problems than not having enough light. One thing that does seem to be coming to surface is that LED fixtures are often only blue and white, and it appears that they may lack the proper spectrum for long term growth. May be worthwhile to go with a full spectrum setup from the start.

Budget, I would go rapid led onyx dimming version.

No budget, I would probably go with the ecotech's or kessil's.

Budget is pretty generous, I just do not care for the look of pendant style fixtures. That said, if it's the tool to get the job done, I go with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk HD

My tank room wouldn't be able to handle the heat load from MH so I went with LED's overa a year and a half ago. I've got Encotech Radions and a single strip of BuildmyLED UV's for my display tank. I have an array of AI Sol Blues for my frag tank. Both tanks are chock full of happy sps and lps. I can tell you it is easy to fry corals with these fixtures. My Radions are only at 40% and my Sol's are at 35%.

I was wanting to use BuildmyLED fixtures for my new frag tank but after playing with them I determined that the reflected glare on the top of the water from all those strips would obstruct my view from the top. Something to consider for any lighting package if you are planning on a top-down viewing tank.

I should also mention that my red acans are thriving but have turned orange over time. I'm not positive if that's an effect from the LED's but anecdotely, I've seen other people with LED's post the same problem.

post-2030-0-82434200-1368073183_thumb.jppost-2030-0-97928800-1368073196_thumb.jppost-2030-0-28023400-1368073215_thumb.jp

From what I've seen LEDs are THE choice. Depending on the brand and how you configure them or if you dim them you should be able to grow anything under them. With regards to coral coloration LED fixtures with enhanced violet and ultraviolet LEDs will excite fluorescing pigment that react to shorter wavelengths (down to 340nm - 350nm) and are missed by the spectral output of T5s and MH and as noted by Richard L will cause some corals to change colors as they shift the protiens they code for. The advantage of LEDs is aquarists now have much more control over the spectral output than with fleorescents of MH. The two disadvantages I've seen: Thefirst is fans are not lasting as long as the LEDs and often LEDs are often mounted closer to the water allowing for salt spray to get sucked or blown into the fixture. The second is connectors are corroding, this is especially a problem with standard DC power connectors attached directly to the fixture housing. I've been impressed with BuildmyLEDs with watertight housing and connectors and driver but if they are in a closed hood the hood should be ventilated, here's a review by Dana Riddle http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/3/review By the way if you want to read more on fluorescing and chromo protiens in corals Dana Riddle's articles online are excellent.

A lot of people come to pick up frags from me and have the idea that LED's won't grow SPS coral. After looking at my old pics to now they definitely do! Whether its faster or slower than other lighting I think depends on the system. Here is a pic of one of my SPS that I was recently trying to ID.

This is when I got it:

image.jpg

And this is 5 months later:

image.jpg

I will post more when I get home but feel free to post any of your LED SPS success!

Updated Pic 2/13/13

IMG_1481.JPG

I have 3 Evolution 150's and 4 3' Build My LED strips, 2 with White, Green, Red, and Yellow to complement the Evos, and 2 with UV and the 2 blue LED's.

I will eventually go all Build My LED but for now, my tank is doing well with the current setup.