Help me quiet my overflow!

Juiceman

I'm trying to quiet my Overflow.

They are the Fishy Business style with the bulkhead being in the back of the tank.

I bought some high quality CPX union valves for them but I'm wondering if the solution may be simpler than that.

Could I drill a hole in the top of my 90 right after the bulkhead similar to what you would to a Durso to remove the gurgle?

post-1783-0-35456500-1368036229.jpg

Any other Ideas?

Basically yes, introducing air into the overflow should stop, or greatly minimize the gurgle. But if you just drill a hole, you'll want to use some 1/4 tubing or something to extent up above the water level I believe. I've also seen people replace the 90s with a T fitting, extent the one end up, put a cap and drill a while in the cap.

Basically yes, introducing air into the overflow should stop, or greatly minimize the gurgle. But if you just drill a hole, you'll want to use some 1/4 tubing or something to extent up above the water level I believe. I've also seen people replace the 90s with a T fitting, extent the one end up, put a cap and drill a while in the cap.

I was thinking about that but i'm not going to be about to get to all the tubes to remove them since they're glued in.

I was thinking to drill the holes, then put tubes going up and away from the water level.

I did this on my biocube I drilled, I inject air about 4 inches below the water line, and have the air being pulled in from about 2 inches above the water line.

Explain further please

u can use RO/DI tubing ,1/4" size, cut a piece a few inches long n insert in that bulkhead from overflow box. slowly push it in intil u hear air sucked through a tubing, then adjust it from there. once it quiet down u can cut a remain short any way u like and leave there. i always keep it 1 1/2" above an overflow box....

good luck.

Google "bean animal overflow", Looks like you can run one with your current setup. It will take some restructuring of your current plumbing, but it is 100% silent!

u can use RO/DI tubing ,1/4" size, cut a piece a few inches long n insert in that bulkhead from overflow box. slowly push it in intil u hear air sucked through a tubing, then adjust it from there. once it quiet down u can cut a remain short any way u like and leave there. i always keep it 1 1/2" above an overflow box....

good luck.

add a ziptie or a bump of silicon to prevent the tubing from being sucked in

would I put the tubing into the overflow or into the hole drilled in the pipe?

So... drill a 1/4 hole in the top part of you 90, insert some 1/4 inch tubing INTO the new drilled hole, the RO/DI tubing is nice and ridged or just use flexible 1/4" line. Insert it in far enough to ensure it stays, Capt. O was just saying to ensure the tubing does not fall completely into the overflow line, using a ziptie or silicon. Extend the tubing as much as you like above the water level.

Even with my durso I drilled a 1/4 hole and inserted some flexible tub, and in the end of the tube I put an air valve so I could open/close it to adjust the amount of air it let in.

So... drill a 1/4 hole in the top part of you 90, insert some 1/4 inch tubing INTO the new drilled hole, the RO/DI tubing is nice and ridged or just use flexible 1/4" line. Insert it in far enough to ensure it stays, Capt. O was just saying to ensure the tubing does not fall completely into the overflow line, using a ziptie or silicon. Extend the tubing as much as you like above the water level.

Even with my durso I drilled a 1/4 hole and inserted some flexible tub, and in the end of the tube I put an air valve so I could open/close it to adjust the amount of air it let in.

That was my understanding, I was just making sure.

I did this on my biocube I drilled, I inject air about 4 inches below the water line, and have the air being pulled in from about 2 inches above the water line.

Explain further please

I did exactly what your thinking about ddoing according to your previous posts, drilled into the top of the 90 with 1/4 inch bit and stuck in air tubing :) not much else to say?

I can snap a pic if you like.

you guys are awesome. if i may jump in real quick, my tank has three holes in the top of the pipe and only one had a rub in it (or is even big enough for a tube larger than a coffee stirrer.

the tube was about 1/4" above the cap. when i pulled it up the whisper went away. but now it is about 12" above the cap. so, does the amount of tube below the waterline, or the amount above the waterline, matter. i would prefer to cut the tube and no have 12" sticking up and hitting the wall.

sadly, now i can hear the water trickling into the overflow :). i am sure i can put something in there to quiet that down, if i want.

good luck.

>add a ziptie or a bump of silicon to prevent the tubing from being sucked in

would I put the tubing into the overflow or into the hole drilled in the pipe?

into a bulkhead on an overflow side...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived