rock scrubbing

Wade

How old is your system? If it's still maturing I would not go out of my way to remove it outside of syphoning some of it off. Hhowever if it bothers you I don't see a problem with using a toothbrush to remove it. If you do it's better to pull the rock out and scrub it off in some aquarioum water to physically remove it. If you scrub it off in the tank you haven't removed teh nutrients bound up in it and as it decomposes the nutrients are released back into the system.

I went on vacation for two weeks and left the tank to the care of the house-sitters out of necessity. It was pretty green when I got back and the phosphates are up to .11 ppm. Probably overfeeding would be my guess. I did a 20% water change last week and plan to do another today. The rocks greened out a bit and I figured a quick fix to get it looking good would be a nice scrub. I may need to replenish my clean up crew as well. It's been about 6 months and I don't really know how often you need to bring in fresh troops.