Jebao WP-40 Speed Control Mod

Ibnzmonkey

I see there are quite a few threads on here regarding the WP-40 from Jebao. Most of the concerns center around it not having a great speed control. Only a high and low function. I have remedied that for you guys and have a working example video as well.

I measured the controller output in H and L mode. H mode is around 23.78v and L mode is runs at about 13v. Therefore, you can ramp between the two high and low setpoints without damaging the motor or controller. The controller requires at least 12v to operate correctly or else it causes the motor to stall and stutter. I say, as long as you just keep it above 13v you should be okay.

Read along and I will try my best to explain what I did to add variable speed control to my WP-40. It works in any one of the pre-set modes.

Step 1:

You're going to need a Jebao WP-40 and one of these 12-24v PWM dimmers. You can find these on Amazon, Ebay, local electronics store, etc..

2013-04-24_23-03-18_560_zps1badd646.jpg

Step 2:

Unbox everything and go ahead and grab the power supply. It's the only thing you're going to be modifying in this tutorial.

2013-04-24_23-05-02_817_zpsf8f0418b.jpg

2013-04-24_23-06-07_571_zps624a4efc.jpg

Step 3:

You're going to want to measure down about 7 or so inches from the end of the connector and carefully cut and peel away the insulation on the DC side of the power supply. You should be left with two sets of wires like so..

2013-04-24_23-07-41_445_zps1aee8761.jpg

Step 4:

Next you're going to want to pull about 1/4" of the insulation off on each of the 4 ends to reveal the copper core. Loosen the connectors on the dimmer and insert wires to corresponding terminals. V IN +/- come from the power supply. V OUT +/- go to the controller.

2013-04-24_23-08-26_541_zpsc0a7a227.jpg

Step 5:

You should have something resembling the picture below. You can power up the controller with no motor attached to see if you get power. If it lights up green, you should be good to go. I advise testing it out in a bathtub or spare tank to see if you got it working correctly.

2013-04-24_23-23-30_555_zps70a9fceb.jpg

I like this controller because it has little test points on each terminals so you can put a DMM on it and see exactly where 13v and 24v then mark the points on the dimmer so you know not to go under or over it's range. Well, technically just under.

Here is a video showing the results of my mod. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

th_2013-04-24_23-56-34_374_zps48130069.j

Wow! You are too awesome for writing up this mod. I asked about it in your build thread and then just saw the write-up.

So at what level are you running the two pumps in your tank? I am curious because I have the same size tank.

-Ty

Wow! You are too awesome for writing up this mod. I asked about it in your build thread and then just saw the write-up.

So at what level are you running the two pumps in your tank? I am curious because I have the same size tank.

-Ty

I have a pump in W1 @ 15.5v and the blue frequency knob is in the middle. The other pump is in ELSE mode and set at 20v. This gives a good flow pattern and I don't think it would knock anything around too hard.

Thank you for sharing. I have a mostly SPS dominant tank so I will be aiming for some good, strong, and random flow. I guess I will give another week on the group buy but if it doesn't happen by then, its ebay time.

Where did you get the dimmers from?

Thank you for sharing. I have a mostly SPS dominant tank so I will be aiming for some good, strong, and random flow. I guess I will give another week on the group buy but if it doesn't happen by then, its ebay time.

Where did you get the dimmers from?

This is what I used. For high random flow maybe both set to max would be best? I'm not sure about SPS tanks since I'm more of a softy guy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00833CT3C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Archived