Can Carbonate Hardness be too high?

tuesday8877

I tested for carbonate hardness today using an API test kit and the result was off the scale - 18dKh. Ph was normal at around 8.0. I know this is probably a bad thing but everything I can find on this topic is on how to raise alkalinity/carbonate hardness and lower ph. Is this something I should worry about and if so what can I do to lower it and keep it stable? Also, I'm having a hell of a time keeping my calcium levels anywhere near normal (it was at 60ppm today)...could this be related? Thanks for the info!

Those tests sound incredibly screwy. I'm far from the expert here but some things that will help others here help you...

Are you using ROdi water?

What brand of salt?

What salinity are you mixing it at and how are you testing that?

How old are the tests?

Any current dosing regiment?

Normally if KH gets much higher than 10 dKH you'll have a snowstorm (abiotic precipitation). Especially if your magnesium is low. I guess if there's no calcium to react with, it can't precipitate out. Did you have a big snowstorm or have pumps die or heaters coated?

Thanks for the replies. I have never seen any perticipation. I use water from Aqua Dome for water changes...the last time was 2 weeks ago and it was 20 gallons on my 75 gal + sump. I use RO to top off between changes. The test kit is relatively new...maybe a couple of months old. I have been dosing...first tried a liquid which did nothing now I'm using a powder which raised the calcium level but I was having to dose every other day or so to make a difference and it still wasn't high enough. Last time I tested the carbon hardness was months ago and it was on the high end but not this extreme. I'm going to test again tomorrow and also test the RO water. I was planning on doing a water change on Tuesday so ill test that water too. Everything in the tank..which isn't much...seems to be ok. I'm just stumped on what could be causing this.

if you are dosing and using API kits i would lest your water everyday or everyother day for at least two or three weeks until the exact dose is is found, espeacially if you don't have a lot of corals using the kh, and calcium( SPS mostly), i made this mistake using a two part dosing system but only tested everyday for a week thinking i had the exact dose down, and then stopped testing and kept using the same dose everyday and then about two weeks later everthing looked like ****, tested and my params were way to high, i guess since all my sps were frags they were not using the kh and calc, like i thought, takes alot of patience and getting that exact dose down and checking parameter alot more often like once or twice a week

Edited by kingjames420

Ok so I just tested again and the alk is 9dKh....so I must have counted wrong the last time? Not sure how that happened but yeah. Calcium is still really low...luckily I won a large SeaChem Reef Fusion two part dosing kit at the Capital City Coral Corral conference last weekend! Thanks for all the replies y'all...at least I learned something.

Keep an eye on your mag as well - it has to be at a high enough level for the molecules to bond and stay in solution (or something like that - I teach music, not chemistry...). I always have an easier time keeping alk/calc up when mag is at appropriate levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley probably has some of the best articles on the relationship between pH, Alk and calcium. Besides the excelent article Bogdan provided a link to, this article by Randy discusses troubleshooting alk, pH and calcium problems: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

API test kits hold up well against other more expensive test kits but always make sure reagents aren't old or stored places where they may get hot and it's always a good idea to verify test results against other kits occasionally whatever brand you use.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy Holmes-Farley probably has some of the best articles on the relationship between pH, Alk and calcium. Besides the excelent article Bogdan provided a link to, this article by Randy discusses troubleshooting alk, pH and calcium problems: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

API test kits hold up well against other more expensive test kits but always make sure reagents aren't old or stored places where they may get hot and it's always a good idea to verify test results against other kits occasionally whatever brand you use.

Hi Timfish, the link you provided doesn't work, is says :

This page does not seem to exist…

See my post above as many of those are from Dr. Holmes-Farley.

Bogden, I don't know why the link doesn't work. This one will get you a index of November 2002 articles, the one by Randy Farley-Holmes is the fifth article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11 The articles George Monnat listed are excellent articles by Randy as well and I would reccommend bookmarking the one on solving calcium and alkalinity problems