Canister filter as reactor

Anyone done it? How did you keep the media from making it out of the filter(obviously a sponge, but how dense)?

I'm picking up a 2213 tonight to use for GFO on my FW tank and am curious how to set it up. I don't really want to buy the Eheim P04 remover as I have plenty of BRS GFO but I don't think the Eheim sponge will keep it from getting out.

I know nothing about GFO, but my 2213s have the media in a basket. GFO looks small, but maybe you can stick the basket in pantyhose? Then the tumbling would be unencumbered inside the basket and it wouldn't be able to escape?

Did you have an progress on this? I wanted to run some carbon for a tank to clear ome meds, so I took the media out of my 2213. I put the thin filter pad (white one) on the bottom, then a few inches of AC, and put the thick blue pad on top. I ran the filter into a bucket for a while and nothing but water seems to be coming out. So I put it in the tank and it seems to be working. Most of the AC is now at the top of the filter, so it seems that the stiffer blue pad is holding its shape.

One note, my substrate is a black gravel, so it will be hard to say if some AC is leaking out.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an eheim on my 30 gallon tank and put carbon in a bag. I used have the yellow tinged water but after putting the carbon in, no problem. As far as using GFO the most effective way is for it to tumble, you could mix it with carbon in a bag. You will get some of the desired effect, just not as much as running it by itself tumbling.

When I used the filter pads everything got stacked up o he top of the canister since it wasn't full of media. If I try GFO, I may try to put something between the filter pads at would keep them seperated so the GFO would have space to tumble. Maybe glue some straws, or short PVC pipe to the lower filter pad.

Of course, I'm not sure how good of an idea it is since the filter pads will collect debris which seems to be undesirable in SW setups.